How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Axiom Pro 49 vs Axiom 49

What's the main difference?

I see that the Axiom Pro has HyperControl... which only looks like added presets that come with the controller... Is that all it is?

Besides buttons that light up... is there any real difference between the 2 controllers? What am i missing out on if i spend $250 on the Axiom 49 rather then spending $450 on the Axiom Pro 49.

Thanks

Jonny
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Axiom Pro 49 vs Axiom 49

Hi Jonny

Hmmm... good question. First requirement would be either a 7.4 or higher Pro Tools system. 8.0.0. or higher is best, even though 7.4 Personality is available, Axiom Pro HyperControl Assignments are not re-assignable. This means Axiom Pro will not recognize Pro Tools Custom Plug-In maps and IMO this is vital. The Factory Default Plug-In maps, to be fair, may not gel or work for you and changes to suit your workflow or parameter order is important, namely VI's.

However, to be honest, I have not worked with the original Axiom but based on observation from many sources, the original Axiom tactile assignments are done manually and work with MIDI Continuous Controller messages. This is all fine when working with plug-ins with a MIDI Input and/or MIDI Learn but the Axiom Pro is a Control Surface. This means Axiom Pro automatically maps to any plug-in whether armed or not.

Now, lets talk workflow. From current experience, that's to say, since I've owned Axiom Pro 49 which was five weeks or earlier before official US release dates, I have found this device now inseparable.

See, I re-map most of my VI plug-ins. Select them as Custom Default and they are done. I'll load and keep loaded a Axiom Pro Pro Tools PC Patch, of which I'll over-write with ASCII Keystroke Commands and MIDI Commands to Group N and P (Trigger Pads - which by the way can be assigned to Channel 10 in Pro Tools for separate drum triggers on a same armed track) because these suit my way of working.

I'll assign S18 to 'Select' which is 'Track Select' in Pro Tools, set Axiom Pro to Instrument Mode and use S10-17 with Bank to select inserted track VI's. Function Buttons like Mute, Solo for the selected track are readily available. Function button 'Track' (< F2 & F3 >) Record Arms to next or previous selected track.

Signal or effect processing plug-ins, Pans, Sends, Insert chains are just a touch away in Mix Mode with any plug-in 'Preset Step Through' functionality which includes Instrument Mode too.

This thing (Axiom Pro) is a real step forward in MIDI device integration, it's a Control Surface/MIDI Controller hybrid.

And IMO, Axiom Pro is superior to Axiom.

Regards.

filosofem
Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 AM

I see what your saying... But you still had to map out your buttons ho you wanted them... and with a well made preset from the sticky note in this MIDI section the Axiom is mapped to do just about everything you just said.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=242285

Thats why I'm wondering if it was mostly an "ease" of setup (which has already been on by our good friends here at DUC) or i it has other things that the Original doesn't have o isn't capable of.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 AM

The AxiomPro obviously has more features----but the real difference as I see it are two-fold...... FIRST, the action is much improved. I've never been a big fan of their keyboards from a player's perspective (I like feel!!!!!), but the Pro series not only didn't disappoint me there, but actually impressed me to the point of getting one myself. The other major difference is it's a metal chassis, this thing is built quite well! The integration it has with PT is incredible----very nice!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Hmm... Alright then. I'll have to go to the store and play them and see which one is better.. or if at my skill level, can i tell a difference. If the "feel" of the unit is the biggest difference then I will probably end up with the non Pro since the other features i would use are on both.(transporter, faders, and other buttons.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Avid

I can honestly say the Axiom Pro is far and beyond a better choice - the Hypercontrol support alone is worth it. Right out of the box it maps properly in Pro Tools as well as being able to control plug-ins easily, store settings related to each plug-in and what you're controlling and be able to move them between sessions.

I know coming from a Digi rep you're thinking I'm hyping it - I'll just say that, for me, there was no comparison. I've owned both the Axiom and Axiom Pro for my personal studio and the move up to the Pro made working in Pro Tools so much more fun, fluid and easy.

I would say check them both out - you may even want to read the manual, especially the section on Hypercontrol so you know exactly what it can do.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Check the new novations also. I'm not sure I'd get the M-Audio now, I got it right in the gap before the new Novations.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Alright... I also have a Yamaha S90 for a controller and added sounds.. do you think i should just use that and then save a little more for a control surface?

With the S90 will i be able to configure the transporter control to buttons on the keyboard?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Take a look at Frontier Alphatrack and Tranzport.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Does an Axiom Pro conflict with a Digi002? I have heard it does.