Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Recording MIDI on ProTools

Hi--I don't usually record MIDI on my ProTools setup, but when I opened up an old ProTools session with MIDI data in it I can't record onto that track anymore. ProTools isn't hearing the MIDI. Or more precisely: When I record enable the track ProTools doesn't recognize any MIDI signal coming from anywhere. Thing is, the MIDI "IN" light is flashing on the front of my 002 Rack. I can also play some old MIDI data FROM ProTools out to my keyboard so the MIDI OUT is working just fine.

Why is this happening?

The problem must be that ProTools doesn't want to recognize MIDI coming into the Computer. This could also be the Computer not wanting to recognize the MIDI that is coming from the 002 Rack. So this is either

1. A driver problem?

2. A ProTools problem?

I either have a weird driver issue where I can somehow play MIDI out of protools onto a keyboard, but can't record MIDI from the keyboard onto Protools, OR there is some button I'm not clicking in ProTools that allows me to record MIDI.

Any help out there? Wish this were simple.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Recording MIDI on ProTools

After researching some, it seems that since I am running Pro Tools 6.4 on Mac OS 10.3.9 the fact that I had quicktime 7 really screwed up my MIDI situation. I'm currently trying to uninstall quicktime 7 and iTunes 7, but this is easier said than done. Anyone who's encountered this issue, feel free to chime in. The lesson here is if you have a system that works, never upgrade anything relating to audio on your computer. all these upgrades have to go in tandem: Pro Tools Upgrade, Mac OS upgrade, Quicktime upgrade.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Maybe you've already checked this, but in your MIDI studio set-up within PT, have you correctly selected your MIDI in source? That's an easy thing to overlook.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Also, remember you need to set up the input on the track to whatever your MIDI in source is. I don't know how many times I set everything up to record and completely overlook inserting the correct MIDI in source on the input for the MIDI track. It's like forgetting to plug something into the wall and being surprised when nothing turns on.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm having the exact same problem, I know this is quite awhile ago, but if anyones found a solution for this problem please let me know thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Yes, I have the problem as well. Every other program recognizes the MIDI. The setup is correct. Just nothing comes up on the armed midi track. I have the exact same setup at home with PT 7 and it works fine. but at work it's PT 6.4 and no midi input from the interface. BTW the output works fine.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Avid

Is 'MIDI Thru' checked in the Options menu?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Same problem. My 003 recognizes a midi device (midi in flashes when I use the controller), but I see no input signal in Pro Tools (7.4, Vista Ultimate). Tried with MIDI Thru checked and unchecked. Input option in the midi track is checked at "All" (only option). No signal.

Setup > MIDI > Input Devices... > MIDI Input Enable window, no devices in list.

Grr.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Avid

Have you tried all the steps in the Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of the Windows/LE forum?

You may also want to visit the Help Us Help You link under my signature, for more information on what we need to help you properly.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM

Hi - I am facing the same problem intially stated on the top of the thread.
Windows xp with protools 7.4 + mbox 2 pro is my set up.

MIDI incoming is not recognized by the pro tools 7.4. I tried out all the options sited in help us help you link given by TSAP.

Please let me know if anyone has break opened this issue.

Regards,
Abhilash