Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 AM

Default "A VST Wrapper is a VST Wrapper" True or False?

Ill keep it short, thinking about grabbing a VST wrapper so PT11 can host VST plugs.

Is there any real difference between the different companies products? I know Waves makes one so its probably a bit pricier than others. Not too familiar with VST wrappers so I'm not really sure what a good or a bad wrapper would be. Or if they would all be the same and I should just get the cheapest one

I could be wrong, but they seem like a pretty straight forward plugin? Im thinking just go with the cheapest?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 AM

Default Re: "A VST Wrapper is a VST Wrapper" True or False?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Ill keep it short, thinking about grabbing a VST wrapper so PT11 can host VST plugs.

Is there any real difference between the different companies products? I know Waves makes one so its probably a bit pricier than others. Not too familiar with VST wrappers so I'm not really sure what a good or a bad wrapper would be. Or if they would all be the same and I should just get the cheapest one

I could be wrong, but they seem like a pretty straight forward plugin? Im thinking just go with the cheapest?
There is no Vst Wrapper at the moment such as the old VST to Rtas from Fxpansion..and i think never will be…
So you can Host Vst or Au in Pro tools 11…i use Blue cat Audio Patchwork which is cheap…Also you can check DDMF Metaplugin which can host AU and VST3….
Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Main differences between Blue Cat Patchwork, Blue Cat MB-7 v2, DDMF Metaplugin, and Nomad Factory Magma:

Built-in crossover for multiband parallel processing: MB-7, Metaplugin
Mid-Side encoding/decoding: Metaplugin, MB-7
Trim for each plug-in: MB-7, Metaplugin, Patchwork
Integrated wet/dry control: Metaplugin (per-plug-in), Patchwork (global)
Remembers VST name/location: Metaplugin, Magma
Pan, Spread controls: MB-7
Can pass MIDI to VST Instruments: Metaplugin, Patchwork
VST3 hosting: Metaplugin

In my opinion:

Best features: DDMF Metaplugin
Most consistent Support/Updates: Blue Cat Patchwork
Best Compatibility: Tie between Metaplugin and Patchwork for VST 2.4, Metaplugin for VST3
Best overall: DDMF Metaplugin
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
I know Waves makes one so its probably a bit pricier than others.
?? I think you may be confused with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Main differences between Blue Cat Patchwork, Blue Cat MB-7 v2, DDMF Metaplugin, and Nomad Factory Magma:
Unless comparing specifically on the VST hosting aspect, it should also be pointed out that Nomad Factory Magma comes bundled with a whole bunch of stomp box style effects that can be chained in conjunction with the hosted VST plugins.

Should also note that Magma was the first (from memory) and also has automation of VST plugin parameters, as does Patchwork and MB-7. Can't comment on Metaplugin as I have never used it.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Unless comparing specifically on the VST hosting aspect, it should also be pointed out that Nomad Factory Magma comes bundled with a whole bunch of stomp box style effects that can be chained in conjunction with the hosted VST plugins.

Should also note that Magma was the first (from memory) and also has automation of VST plugin parameters, as does Patchwork and MB-7. Can't comment on Metaplugin as I have never used it.
Good point. I was commenting on the VST hosting ability only. Magma was indeed the first, then Metaplugin, then MB-7 v2, then Patchwork. Even without the VST hosting, I love Magma. So much good stuff in there. One thing neither of us mentioned is the excellent modulation matrix. I can't remember offhand if VST parameters can be modulated with the matrix. The included rack units can, though. The animation of modulated parameters can get wonky, but it works well and the sound is zipper-free even with a fast LFO or envelope.

Metaplugin does have parameter automation, which works similarly to the others - you map VST parameters to Metaplugin automation assignments, then automate those assignment parameters in Pro Tools.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
One thing neither of us mentioned is the excellent modulation matrix. I can't remember offhand if VST parameters can be modulated with the matrix. The included rack units can, though. The animation of modulated parameters can get wonky, but it works well and the sound is zipper-free even with a fast LFO or envelope.
Holy crap! I TOTALLY forgot about that.

Yes you're right, it's brilliant and you can indeed use it on VST plugins. I remember trying that when I demoed it a while back.

It disappoints me that Magma rarely gets mentioned as it is a great option and has things the others don't.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM

I can't comment on the other products, but Metaplugin works well in PT11. It requires 64-bit VST's, so you can't use 32-bit plugs. But in my experience most of the better VST's are available in 64-bit anyway. When a PT11 project is opened in PT10 the wrapped plugins aren't there, which is inconvenient but expected since they are 64-bit. But there is a 32-bit version of the wrapper for PT10.

MetaSynth works pretty well too. I haven't tried multiple outputs, so I'm not sure if that is supported.

I should mention that I'm running on a PC, if that wasn't obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos4 View Post
There is no Vst Wrapper at the moment such as the old VST to Rtas from Fxpansion..and i think never will be…
So you can Host Vst or Au in Pro tools 11…i use Blue cat Audio Patchwork which is cheap…Also you can check DDMF Metaplugin which can host AU and VST3….
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
When a PT11 project is opened in PT10 the wrapped plugins aren't there, which is inconvenient but expected since they are 64-bit. But there is a 32-bit version of the wrapper for PT10
If the VST plug-ins have the same name for both 64 bit and 32 bit versions, then MetaPlugin will work fine when moving projects between PT10 and PT11. Sometimes this is a matter of renaming the VST itself, because some 64 bit VST plug-ins add "64" to the end of the filename.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 PM

Vienna Ensemble Pro works flawless as a VSTi or AUi host. Great for VSTs and AUs as a send, 64 bit great, 32 bit okay. It seems that I have to load a dummy instrument or use one if I want Vienna to find the send Instance via their audio line plug. Vienna uses a network scheme internally but can access other computers using a simple ethernet router. I haven't tried that yet.
I did get it to work as in insert but it was quite flaky as a 32 bit rack. I switched to 64 bit and had better luck but gone was the ease when plugging an instrument in.
To use as a send, I loaded up an aux to receive the plugin output from Vienna. The CPU load is like nothing. Too bad about the insert thing but the plugin is so flexible and modular that you can probably figure out a way to make it work.
Making adjustments in PT11 like changing the buffer size caused a few lockups. Sometimes it works fine.
For VSTis, it's flawless with 0 latency if you wish but most likely you will have to load a buffer or two in Vienna. It uses what ever the value is in PT11x the vienna count. Since you are offloading the workload to Vienna, you can keep Protools buffer low. It also comes with some great sounding orchestral samples but it is a very limited set.
I was sold on it from Pro Tools Expert good review on it but I really want to eventually replace each plug with the upgrades. It uses Steinberg E license dongle. That might be enough to turn some away. Sorry about the ramble but I'm still out on the jury about this. Good thing is that everything is saved in your session so you can make up templates.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
Vienna Ensemble Pro works flawless as a VSTi or AUi host.
It uses Steinberg E license dongle. That might be enough to turn some away.
That's about my only complaint with VEPro 5. I don't know why it can't use the virtual elicenser dongle instead of the hardware one.

QAPLA!