Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Preventing Wrist Pain - Which Mouse/Trackball

I ws wondering if anyone has found a good replacement for their normal mouse to prevent wrist pain.

Please share your stories. I need to address my workstaion ergonomics and I am hoping to get some good advice.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Preventing Wrist Pain - Which Mouse/Trackball

Hi Jeff,

Check out the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse 2.0 with a comfey wrist pad. My girlfriend had carpaltunnel and switched over to those and the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. She still had the surgeries but felt much beter using them both before and after. I personally don't like the mouse - too responsive.

Good Luck,

Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 PM

You might also consider getting a Kensington Trackball and maybe even switching every few weeks so your hand/wrist is not always doing the same motion. Also, the height of your chair vs. the mouse/trackball can make a big change in comfrot so maybe try changing the chair height.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM

a very large investment in a D-Command so you are using real buttons and fader not a mouse and keyboard. its helping a colleague’s RSI but damn its a big investment.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 AM

First things first: TAKE THIS THING SERIOUSLY!

I have very much problems with this and have had it for a long time, so take it from me, if you feel the slightest pain do something about it. These things come and go so if you are 'cured' only very little is needed for you to get it back again.

Here's my tips:

* Use a trackball. The only thing that really works mousewise honestly except...

* ... switch hands. Use the left hand instead for a while. If you don't have a severe case then doing this for amonth or so might be enough.

* Let it heal. It takes a damn long time but you will be glad when it does.

* Make sure your hands are angled right when you type on your keyboard. The wrists shouldn't be angled.

* Take note of where the tensions are. For me my main problems have started in my shoulders so I have actively had to think about relaxing them.

* Walk up and stretch your arms a little every now and then.

* Get a control surface.

* From time to time I have had luck with placing my entire forearm and elbow on the desk when using the mouse. I think the reason is that I needed to relax my shoulders.

* Get it check. A doctor can help you out with various stretching exercises. These kinds of things are different from person to person so you should really get some expert help.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
You might also consider getting a Kensington Trackball and maybe even switching every few weeks so your hand/wrist is not always doing the same motion. Also, the height of your chair vs. the mouse/trackball can make a big change in comfrot so maybe try changing the chair height.
I'm considering the Kensington Trackball and I was wondering which one you recommend?

TheKensington Expert Mouse (Trackball) or the Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball

I have my midi keyboard controler on my workstation's pullout keyboard tray. Then I have my laptop on the top/main work area. I am considering moving the midi controler and adding a seperate keyboard and trackball and placing it on the pull out tray. This would make the angle of my arms and wrist much better.

Command 8..... someday.

I appreciate everyones help. The symptoms I have are not severe (yet) but I am wise enough to recognize them and do something about it.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 AM

I use a Logitech Marble Mouse (trackball) at work to ease tension in my hand. It's worked wonders. I sometimes switch back to my mouse now and then. Most important thing is changing up the motions. Some things like Photoshop don't work well with a trackball anyway.

I've never used a trackball with Pro Tools, I wonder if it would be awkward when "drawing" in waves and stuff like that.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 AM

I really like the Expert mouse - it's expensive, but worth it. I found the Orbit mouse had a weird shape for my hand - try before you buy!

The biggest factor for me was arm to desk position - I make sure that my forearm is level from my chair arm rest to the desk. Anytime I'm in another room where that's not the case, I'll feel the strain after a couple of hours.

The 4 mouse buttons are great for programming in things like tool switching or slip/slide mode, etc.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Another option, though not with programmable buttons unfortunately, is a Wacom Tablet. A lot of video editors use these and I've seen them used by graphics people too.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I've been using the big Kensingtons (Expert/Turbo) for almost 20 years now and I've never had problems even when it was basically my job to mouse and not keyboard. Another thing I learned early on was to mouse with my weak hand, not my dominant hand. Also, don't flex your hand back even if you think you're "stretching" it...that hurts things more.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.