Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 AM

Default How to transfer sessions to External? Please help!

Hey I recorded all my bands sessions on my laptop (Powerbook) on Pro-tools M-power, and I am running out of hard drive space. My lead singer is buying a Laci Drive mobile version so I can continue recording all the tracks to the external.
What I want to do is transfer the session to the external hardrive and record the rest of the tracks to the external.
Do I have to put Pro-tools M-power 6.8 program on the external hard drive, or just the sessions folder with my songs?

My lead singer also wants to use the external drive in another computer that has Pro-tools LE. and use the sessions
Would the sessions open up in Pro-tools Le, from M-power?

How do I set this up on the external hard drive from my laptop, so it can work with other computers with Pro-tools Le in the future. I am currently using Pro-tools M-power. I have Panther on my laptop, what if someone has Tiger, would the external drive work and would the sessions work and open for them on there computer with a different O.S?

Also I only have one fire wire 400 slot, and that is being used by my sound card the M-audio FW-1814, how would I connect the external hardrive. I know the FW-1814 has an extra fire wire port on the back of the unit, would I be able to attached the external hard drive to the back of the sound card?

Thank you in advance,
Mikey Ace
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: How to transfer sessions to External? Please help!

Quote:
Hey I recorded all my bands sessions on my laptop (Powerbook) on Pro-tools M-power, and I am running out of hard drive space. My lead singer is buying a Laci Drive mobile version so I can continue recording all the tracks to the external.
What I want to do is transfer the session to the external hardrive and record the rest of the tracks to the external.
Do I have to put Pro-tools M-power 6.8 program on the external hard drive, or just the sessions folder with my songs?
Keep the PT program on your system drive, all you need to do is copy all your session folders to the firewire drive. But, and this is very important, every time you open one of the sessions that you copied to the FW drive check the disk allocation for that session and make sure that the files are referencing the new drive and not the old one.

Quote:
My lead singer also wants to use the external drive in another computer that has Pro-tools LE. and use the sessions
Would the sessions open up in Pro-tools Le, from M-power?
Yes, they are compatible

Quote:
How do I set this up on the external hard drive from my laptop, so it can work with other computers with Pro-tools Le in the future. I am currently using Pro-tools M-power. I have Panther on my laptop, what if someone has Tiger, would the external drive work and would the sessions work and open for them on there computer with a different O.S?
If the drive is formatted HFS+ it should work with both.

Quote:
Also I only have one fire wire 400 slot, and that is being used by my sound card the M-audio FW-1814, how would I connect the external hardrive. I know the FW-1814 has an extra fire wire port on the back of the unit, would I be able to attached the external hard drive to the back of the sound card?
Yes, FW can be daisy-chained. I'm not sure if it matters what order, but I think some people recommend connecting the drive first and then chaining the interface to that so that the drive is the first thing on the FW bus. Maybe somebody else can chime in who knows for sure.

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Avid

Quote:

Keep the PT program on your system drive, all you need to do is copy all your session folders to the firewire drive. But, and this is very important, every time you open one of the sessions that you copied to the FW drive check the disk allocation for that session and make sure that the files are referencing the new drive and not the old one.
An easier way to do this, and guarantee that you have all the proper audio files for the session, is to use the 'Save Session Copy In' command from the File menu in Pro Tools. Choose the option to copy all audio files.

If you drag and drop, there is a chance you may miss audio files that were imported into the session at some point, but weren't copied to the audio files folder for that session.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Thank you both very much,
When I attach the external hard drive later, I will open up my Pro-tools Session and select save as, and select external drive, and the drive should then save the file-session as a file on the External hard drive. I will write back soon to let you know my experiences.

Also I am looking to buy a PROFESSIONAL AUDIO RECORDING external hard drive for my laptop soon. I was reccomended Glyph. Can anyone reccomend a model that runs great for a Mac Powerbook 1.5 and has Fire wire 400 or 800 and is 7200 rpm's. I am looking for a fast, portable, quiet, reliable hard drive.

Feel free to add any more information or your experiences.
Thank you in advance,
Mikey Ace