Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Replacement for old TDM plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Thanks Drew. That's what I thought. A bunch of hoop jumping but that's just the way it is. The pro music producers have been left in the dust.
You can blame the home recording market. There's no money to be made in the pro market anymore other than Post.

In addition, most younger people are doing hip hop or EDM and realtime latency just doesn't matter to them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Yup. Although we do a lot of Hip Hop and some EDM influenced pop where we mix real stuff with loops and combine it with other real stuff like vintage keys and the like where we still need a realtime low latency situation. I hear what your saying about the bedroom producers though. That's for sure the bigger market. One thing that you can count on though is that all things do change and whoever knows what's next has a leg up on the rest of us for sure.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yup. Although we do a lot of Hip Hop and some EDM influenced pop where we mix real stuff with loops and combine it with other real stuff like vintage keys and the like where we still need a realtime low latency situation. I hear what your saying about the bedroom producers though. That's for sure the bigger market. One thing that you can count on though is that all things do change and whoever knows what's next has a leg up on the rest of us for sure.
The ironic thing is, if you look at the ProTools product section on the Avid website, there is far more mention of features that would appeal to the home user/semi-pro user rather than the high-end post pro sector.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Avid hasn't given up on that market.

Last edited by Marsdy; 09-01-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:51 PM

Sorry, hit post before I'd finished my rant.

As we all know Avid hasn't done a very good job of addressing that market compared to the competition and is losing market share as a result. I realise Logic is very compelling in terms of value for money but then you have to buy a very expensive dongle i.e. a Mac to run it on

It's a real shame Avid sold it's Air division. If it had bundled all those plug-ins for free which they weren't making much money out of anyway, released a Duet or HD native/Omni/PT package bundled with every plug-in and made it more competitively priced, they'd be giving its competitors a much harder time. Take the fight to Apogee and UAD.

EDIT: And do a deal with Native Instruments. Bundle Kontakt Player and tasters of all those wonderful Kontakt libraries with an update deal to Komplete.

EDIT 2. Get NI to do a Maschine Lite software only version. You'd soon get people busing Maschine with an upgrade deal, especially since it is so prevalent with the EDM/hip-hop guys. It's the new MPC60

Last edited by Marsdy; 09-01-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
Line6 AmpFarm
Anything that plugin-alliance has. I really like their ENGL emulations, but the (basic) RockRack is cool too
Old 09-02-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Anything that plugin-alliance has. I really like their ENGL emulations, but the (basic) RockRack is cool too
+1000. Also Bassdude is by far the best Fender amp sim EVER.

I'm really liking their "character" compressors too.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I'm really liking their "character" compressors too.
...and the MAAG eq's are godsend
Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM

Plugin Alliance has a bunch of great stuff. I like the BX Console (Waves SSL replacement for HDX) and Maag EQs.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 AM

When I upgraded to HDX I missed some old TDM plugins too... Echofarm, all tc electronics plugins (VSS3, limiter, etc...). But I'm so happy with the new plugins that I don't even remember it now... We have to move on... That been said, I still mix on a SSL with lots of hardware... But do use lots of plugins too... Love plugins alliance, all soundtoys, still use mwd eq, some waves, sonnox, slate, good sounding plugins this days...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-03-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
When I upgraded to HDX I missed some old TDM plugins too... Echofarm, all tc electronics plugins (VSS3, limiter, etc...). But I'm so happy with the new plugins that I don't even remember it now... We have to move on... That been said, I still mix on a SSL with lots of hardware... But do use lots of plugins too... Love plugins alliance, all soundtoys, still use mwd eq, some waves, sonnox, slate, good sounding plugins this days...
I agree with you in principle but the fact that you have to use so many plug-ins natively were there used to be a TDM version means higher latency.

Major PITA.