Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Is this dangerous for my guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
No.

Alkmaar -and all of the Netherlands for that matter- has a moderate, marine climate; average temperatures, average humidity.

We happen to live in a veritable climatical guitar sweet spot; not too hot, not too cold, not too dry & not too humid. Your guitars will be fine.

If you want to keep an eye on the humidity in your room you can get a hygrometer for less than € 10,-

T
Soothing words You provide me essential knowledge Muddy T, thanks for that!

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Kinda sucks to have a burst in your guitar Musicman691.

Thank you all fellows My biggest fear turns out to be nothing, and I am very glad you guys helped me out of my nightmare. You're all very helpful, that's what I appreciate in this forum.

Keep it up

P. S. Muddy T best wishes with your guitar, hope it can be restored. Peace out!

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:13 PM

2 more cents from a guitarist of 40+ years:
#1-Temperature. if possible, avoid extremes(inside any home is not likely to ever see extreme). If the guitar sits in cold(below freezing) for several hours, when it comes inside, let it warm up in the unopened case so it warms slowly(a sudden temperature swing can cause the finish to crack, blush or craze)
#2-Humidity. guitars(especially acoustics) like 40-55% humidity(and I also recommend a hygrometer) so if your place gets a lot drier, help it out with a vaporizer/humidifier. 35% isn't horrible, but my room got down actually to 10% a few years back and 3 acoustics developed serious cracks and I have seen bridge plates actually pop right off the guitar face(acoustic guitars).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
#1-Temperature. if possible, avoid extremes(inside any home is not likely to ever see extreme). If the guitar sits in cold(below freezing) for several hours, when it comes inside, let it warm up in the unopened case so it warms slowly(a sudden temperature swing can cause the finish to crack, blush or craze)
#2-Humidity. guitars(especially acoustics) like 40-55% humidity(and I also recommend a hygrometer) so if your place gets a lot drier, help it out with a vaporizer/humidifier. 35% isn't horrible, but my room got down actually to 10% a few years back and 3 acoustics developed serious cracks and I have seen bridge plates actually pop right off the guitar face(acoustic guitars).
Yeah I'm definitely gonna buy a hygrometer. Freezing almost never happens anymore in the Netherlands eversince global warming became serious And since I don't use the central heather anymore (covered with foam too), the temperature is almost constant in my room. Curious to see what % humidity I have here. The hygrometer will point me out. I'm blessed Thanks Albee!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voideco View Post
Soothing words You provide me essential knowledge Muddy T, thanks for that!
You are welcome of course.

I remember a winter a few years ago when we had several consecutive weeks of sub zero temperatures. Even then, with the air getting quite dry, I don't think humidity in doors ever got below 40%.

Right now it's just under 70%. Still totally acceptable.

Anywhere between 40% and 70% is generally accepted as 'normal'.

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 11-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As regards number 1 let me add the same advice goes for any tube equipment like an amp or such. It's more so the condensation dries up elsewise you get some weird noises out of the speakers as the tubes heat up (like zaps/pops).

For number 2 Martin Guitars back in the 60's/70's would recommend keeping a cut open apple in the guitar case to help regulate humidity. Don't know if it really helped or not but the guitar would smell nice.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As regards number 1 let me add the same advice goes for any tube equipment like an amp or such. It's more so the condensation dries up elsewise you get some weird noises out of the speakers as the tubes heat up (like zaps/pops).

For number 2 Martin Guitars back in the 60's/70's would recommend keeping a cut open apple in the guitar case to help regulate humidity. Don't know if it really helped or not but the guitar would smell nice.
1) My Koch preamp contains four valves. It's in the repair right not 'cause the potmeters were dusty and the valves were damaged. Think I can keep it in the studio when I have the window open then it can cool down nicely

2) My LAG western guitar could benefit from this but I would prefer a peer.