Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Another Power Harness Victim....U Could Be Next

Well, I've been expecting this power harness failure to happen, anyone with an 002 or 002r should be expecting it to happen to them also. It finally got me yesterday, mid session with the entire band there. So then I try to call digi at 2:45 Pacific Time (they close at 3:00 I thought), and they we're already closed. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and cancel my Sunday session too. Great.

What I don't understand is WHY DOES DIGI CONTINUE TO SELL A FAULTY PRODUCT. If they know it's going to break, then RE-DESIGN THE DIGI002R TO NOT HAVE POWER HARNESS FAILURE, that simple. The whole thing has definatetly made me re-consider buying any more digi products and look into something more reliable.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Another Power Harness Victim....U Could Be Nex

All products have some sort of problem these days. At least Digidesign gives better support than MoTU is currently giving me on my 828mkII. I've had it die twice now within 6 months, and I can't get through to them on the phone...and they now are not answering any of my e-mails. First time the power supply was bad, and now the world clock is bad.

Did you try wiggling the connections? It seems others have had success with getting it to work from that.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 06-11-2005, 08:47 AM

TES, I feel for you, I really do.
We had a bit of a heated discussion about it the other day in this now locked thread

One of the posts in that thread mentions another post by DigiCS:

==============
The original contact was a spring clip style with only a single contact point to the header. While these types of pins are very common in this application and we had not had an issue with them in the past, we have replaced this with a new Molex connector which completely surrounds the contact post and has eliminated the contact resistivity and makes a more positive contact to the post. This new connector was rolled into manufacturing and is the shipping connector on all 002 products.

DigiCS
==============

Seems like all new units are manufactured with the fix. I don't know when mine was manufactured, and I haven't had the problem yet (knock wood), but it would probably be smart of me (or any other smart business owner who depends on the 002/002r products for revenue) to contact Digi to get a replacement anyway so I don't have an issue like yours.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 AM

Digidesign is becoming alot like Waves lately, noticed?

...let's make money...a customer called- we'll get back to 'em later

they want a hardware unit that parallel's the competition in sample rate, features, and tracks...well we'll sell them one with less features and higher cost and they'll like it- if they wanted more features, they should have bought the HD equipment

I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self I am out for self ...

no 24 hour support and leaving early proves that.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:54 AM

Digi, I'd like to report you to your supervisor for leaving early, who do I need to see?

Old 06-11-2005, 02:48 PM

To get a new power harness do you have to send the unit in?... maybe i'll call digi and get a replacement for my 002, even though i haven't had the problem yet either, that way if it does go i'll already have it here. Is that possible?, to just call them and say mine went bad send me a new one?, or do i have to send in the bad one?...

thanks,
cory
Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 PM

yo i think i have the power harness problem too. the 002 is clicking and the mute button is stuck on. How much does this cost to fix??
Old 06-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Sounds like you've got it my friend. Digi will either send you the harness so that you can repair
or you can send the unit in to them.

I'm not sure of the exact process but there are several threads about it..

Sorry!!!!!

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:20 PM

You do not have to send in your unit. Call them and they will ship...fast. Yes that means you can have the spare part sitting there waiting...or better yet, you can replace it before it goes.

dave
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 06-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Another Power Harness Victim....U Could Be Next

Sorry to hear Dana..
Hopefully it'll be al sorted out quickly. But...how do you explain that to your clients ?
I've suggested in a recent post (#836726 ) that Digi should pack a spare in every box. Just in case. Like the cold war KGB agents always had that cyanide capsule handy...

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring