Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Default enough

Hello every body
This massage may be aggravating for some people, especially those who just spent there top dollars on a new HD systems, as well as some people from digidesign.
Guys!!! How many times did we ( Pro tools LE users ) consider upgrading our systems to HD ????...... im sure that every one of us thought about it at some point. Yet we don’t want to spend over $10,000 on a system that functions basically the same way as any host based system in the market.
Yes the HD is a very good system, no doubt, but what it can really offer???? …… DSP power??? …. I have enough of it in my G5 dual, Thank you.
Next, Good converters????? ….. well what if I need only 2 good converters???
What if I don’t need good converters at all??? Ahh??
So what do we really need from the HD system??? Of course the amount of tracks.
Don’t you find it ridicules that every chip audio system in the market offers unlimited amount of tracks, except pro tools LE of course.
As you can imagine the reason for that is only commercial. if the LE systems will offer lets say 64 tracks The HD system will lose it’s attraction almost completely,.
The only reason why the amount of track on pro tools LE is limited to 32 is because digidesign still want to make money on the big sister HD, witch is over priced and based on a dated concept.
I think that this is an unfair and a dirty way of marketing. digidesign abuses it’s own loyal customers both of the LE and the HD and trying to insult our intelligence.
i don’t have extra money to spend and I’m not stupid enough to think that the HD justifies its price, but the software is irreplaceable ( professionals will understand ) .
so why cant I get something so elementary like more track??????????????
Ohh, yee digidesign will not be able to sell the HD so they hold the extra track as prisoners and who ever is willing to pay the ransom that they asking can enjoy the full capacity of his computer!!
Does any body feels the same way about this scam???
Does any body have any idea of what can we do to stop this ??????
Digidesign!!!! You know your trying to sell a system that is no longer attractive, because if you did you would offer more tracks on the LE systems and let us decide what is better!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: enough

It's all relative back in the 1980's a NED Synclavier would have cost you $500 K then you neede a console to go with it.
If you charge a client $800.00 per day a $10K HD system is pretty cheap. There are alternatives that offer more tracks than LE like Logic and Digital Performer. Also if you look at tech support and programming and many other costs it makes sense to charge for it that's how a comany stays in business. Why does Manley charge $4000.00 to make a stereo compressor, because tha's what they need to charge to stay in business. Digidesign has pretty good support, telephone, email, DUC, regular software updates.
It all costs money so they need to charge for it.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 AM

this is not the poit!!!
let them charge as much as they like for the HD, just give me the tracks i deserve.
if they really beleaved in the HD they would do that.
i have logic too it's good for what it's good for.
and the rest is not good for anything.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
this is not the poit!!!
let them charge as much as they like for the HD, just give me the tracks i deserve.
if they really beleaved in the HD they would do that.
i have logic too it's good for what it's good for.
and the rest is not good for anything.
You're right, the poit is that you should use another system. They might be gooder for what they're gooder for too.

S.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM

my english is not so good but i know very well where to put my money and witch software to use for what!!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:55 AM

lol
Pro Tools 6.4 cs9
HD 1 & 96 i/o
Waves Gold
867 Powerbook
Pro Tools 6.4 & MBox 10.3.4
Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 AM

why didn't you bring up garageband...which I might add has no midi import export..only 8 tracks etc..protools free had more features than that.....what you get is what you pay for...luckily protools le allows cross platformability, upgradability, and the ability to import to an HD system.......if you need more than 32 tracks take it to a high end studio with HD...at least it can be taken to the next level from there..

I'm surprized they even boosted le up from 24 tracks...nowadays some people with an entry level le system think they are studio guru's...or instant engineers..

protools TDM...is an investment for people who are very serious about this field...in some cases $20,000 worth or more...these people should get back what they invest in this field...not to have a person with a $300 entry system try to compete with them and say they are better...(yea sure) I'm not being arrogant...but we buy higher end systems to pump out higher end products.

be glad you were given beat detective
and the 32 tracks

also, how else would you differentiate between the hi end and lo end...and in everything in life....do you expect to have the same luxury amenities in a economy car as an exotic car.

digidesign is not just a software company....their software is integrated into their hardware...why don't you go to an apple forum and ask them to make the mac os for the pc...I wonder how much luck you'll have.

I want to point out that in this response I meant no offense to the le users out there, but I also want to say that changing the balance towards le would hurt the hi end users who invested an arm and a leg for the hi end systems.

I work on both systems le and tdm i might add.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:39 AM

Quote:
my english is not so good but i know very well where to put my money and witch software to use for what!!!!!
Cheap shot, man. Make no mistake, I wasn't making fun of your English skills, per sé.

It wasn't a lack of DIGI-BONICS ability that made me respond, it was the other content of your pose, I mean post. Whatever your native tongue is, I'm pretty certain you speak it better than I.

But, your attitude is really tired. I dare you to use all of the other software out there, and really get to know the programs well. Six months after you actually do this, it's trivia time... Call us back with the answers.

In what file format does the major label/film company expect your next album/movie mix? I'm not talking about something you did for your friends, I'm talking about something where you are a afraid of a person called a "producer" because he/she can fire you.

Pro Tools is by no means a perfect application, but they do extremely well given the ever-changing environments in which their software is dutifully expected to perform. Day after day, I've seen major films go down from edit to layback with Pro Tools. The software works, pretty well by even a cynic's estimation. It's not best thing you can imagine, what in this life is?

Is Pro Tools incapable of getting the job done? Probably not. Stop pretending. Look at your posts and look at what Pro Tools has done for hundreds of thousands of other people. Is it really the software/hardware, or you?

I apologize is this is harsh, but people squealing with nonsense belongs in Washington D.C. People here have sessions to run.

Buh, bye.

BTW, my rant about current bugs is only days away in the post section... Holla.

S.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 AM

Stop whining. Go and use something else. What a rubbish post.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 AM

Rubbish??
you already spend your money you must think this way!!!