Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Default Line 6 Helix as interface

Using PT12 and an iMac with El Cap. Am trying to install my new Line 6 Helix Rack as my new USB interface to replace my 11Rack (as interface - still keeping 11R). Seems as if everything is OK but I cannot see the Helix as hardware option in PT12 - just my 11R shows up. Systems Pref I have HelixAudio as USB Input and my 11R as Output (powered monitors still attached to my 11R). I can hear a project when I press play but cannot view the Helix as an input option on an audio track. In my iMac Audio Midi Setup, I have Heiix Audio chosen and input and output but my eleven rack is chose and my "use this device for sound output"
I think that is about all I can say except I DO see the Helix Rack as an input option in my LogicProX, unfortunately just not in ProTools. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by mrgroovy; 04-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Line 6 Helix as interface

It is not exactly clear what you are doing here. You need to select the Helix as a playback engine, the hardware setup (what you mean by "hardware option"?) is not the place to look. You may want to review the parts of the Pro Tools Reference Guide that talk about the playback engine dialog.

If you want to use the Helix as an audio interface get the monitors connected to it. Don't waste time trying to use an aggregate device etc.

To get started at least, the Helix should not be selected as anything at all in Audio/Midi setup, have it exclusively selected as the Pro Tools playback engine.

If the Helix does not show up as a option in Pro Tools Setup>Playback Engine then the problem more likely to follow up with Line 6 on.

If you need more help be precisely clear what you are doing/what you see in exactly what dialog panel etc. Screen shots can help.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:26 PM

The Helix is not showing up in my Pro Tools Setup>Playback Engine as an option. Only the Eleven Rack shows up there. It does however show up in my Logic Pro X as an option and works just fine.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 PM

There have enough reports of issues with the Helix on El Capitan, like many other USB interfaces. Again I'd follow up with Line 6 about this or look at their forums. That is shows up in LogicPro X but not Pro tools is not necessarily hard proof this is a Pro Tools issue (or something Avid will/can fix). Even if possibly a Avid's issue I'd run down other options first anyhow.

But start by making sure the interface is not selected in anything else, including audio/midi setup, reboot the Mac, do not open any other audio apps, and just try opening Pro Tools (hold down the 'N' key while Pro tools starts up, until you see the playback engine option appears, then see if the interface appears in the setup is an option).

Some of the strangeness reported with the Helix on El Capitan might related to this (e.g. the spit dual device problems, on input, one output only, various other problems). And there may lay some of the issues with relying on class compliant USB devices, everybody is at the mercy of Apple screwing with stuff. And El Capitan screwed with a lot in that space.

If you can try booting an older OS X release and testing on that.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Thx Darryl, will do tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Question, would connecting my speakers (as you mentioned) to the Helix instead of the 11R have something to do with the Helix not being detected in the playback engine option? That does not seem logical although if it works who cares?
My second option would be to SPDIF the Helix to the 11R and use the digital inputs on an audio track correct? That way leaving the 11R as my interface.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 PM

No connecting the speakers won't make any difference. The USB side of the interface can't tell/care what is connected there.

I only mentioned that as I first thought you were not trying to select the interface in the Playback Engine dialog... if it was showing up there then yes you would also need the speakers connected to the Helix outputs to work, but they won't stop it showing up.

Sure you can use S/PDIF or AES/EBU to the Eleven Rack (select the one you want to use as digital input in User Options on the Eleven Rack), they should then show up as Digital L/Digital R/Digital L+R inputs with the Eleven Rack selected as playback engine. The global settings in the Helix let you pick whether it is outputting on S/PDIF or AES/EBU.

Oh and not that I can see how this would cause a problem, but try trashing Pro Tools prefs as well then rebooting. Just because, always try trashing prefs...
Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 PM

Yes, forgot to do that. Will trash preferences tomorrow and let you know. Thx.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 AM

Downloaded Pete Gates software and deleted preferences. I can now see the Helix and all is well so far. Thx
Old 04-24-2016, 10:27 AM

Sigh, should have been the first thing I suggested. The whole preferences system is such a flake. Helix looks nice, Eleven Rack Mk II. I need to get one.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Thx for everything Darryl. We will see how this Helix feels now that I can see and record it. Will post my opinions in the 11Rack thread. Keeping the 11R as it is still quite useful for many guitar needs.