Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 AM

Default Two different Versions of the HD I/O DA Card?

Hello Guys,

I'm new here. Hello!

I need Help identifying a HD I/O DA Card. Posted this question on Gearslutz a while back but nobody had a clue either. Maybe someone here can chime in.

I bought a used DA Expansion Card some time ago to expand my HD I/O. During installation I've noticed that the card I bought looks different than the usual DA Card. A closer look at the PCB board shows a stamp "AVID/Digidesign 2008".

My first thought was, ok got screwed, this one is for the older 192s. But hell I installed the card and it works as it should...

I attached two pictures. The one in the rack housing is mine the other one is the card you typically see sold at stores.

Unfortunately I have no direct comparison. I have also an Omni and as far as I can tell they sound pretty similar. But would say the DA Card sounds a very tiny touch more transparent with clearer highs and a bit tighter bass response as the Omni.

Does anyone know which kind of card I have here? A very early revision or something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avid I-o card.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Avid i-o card2.jpg (53.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by cable_clamp; 10-02-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Two different Versions of the HD I/O DA Card?

Pretty sure 2008 predates the HD series I/O's release, but that's probably when they were being developed. It's definitely not a 192 card.

The two cards you posted look almost identical to me. What do you see that's different?
Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the lineup of all the parts seem pretty much identical but a lot of the caps and resistors are different in their shape.

For example those red ones. On the right card they are rectangular. By the way exactly like the ones in the Omni. On the left card (the "actual" one) edges are more round. So definitely different parts. And it seems also those golden parts on the left card are different from the ones on mine.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 PM

Hi, welcome to the community. Avid does revisions to the boards every now and then, but it doesn't matter -- they are compatible. Sometimes even board color differs from green to blue and it's just a different revision.

You should only worry when you see a red board, that would be a prototype.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You should only worry when you see a red board, that would be a prototype.

Interesting
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.