Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Help with the OMNI IO

I'll just upgraded from the MBoxPro to the HDNative and Omni IO interface. I've updated to Pro Tools HD 10.0.2 and the Firware on the Omni IO to 2.10.

After several hours of trying to get sound, I still have nothing.

In the "Analog Out" tab of the Hardware Setup, I have TRS monitors "Analog Out 1-2" selected.

In the "Monitor" tab I have the CR Path set to "MAIN", the format to "Stereo", Fold-Down to "Mono", and Analog (DB-25) set to "1-2".

In the "Mixer" tab, I have Analog 1-2 unmuted, and both the "MON" and "HP" buttons highlighted in blue. (I also tried with both "MON" and "HP" buttons not highlighted)

Moving on to the I/O Setup window, I have the first output path named "Stereo Monitor" to the "Monitor" Format and set to the "Monitor 1-2" output.

In the Bus Tab, "Out 1-2" is a "Stereo" format that is Mapped to "Stereo Monitor".

I imported a track into Pro Tools, set up the output of the track to "Out 1-2", and I see meters on the Omni IO but I get no sound, from either the headphones or the monitors, which are connected to "TRS out 1-2". I've also tried the DB25 outs, no luck there either.

I was kind of hoping typing all of this out would reveal a flaw in my logic, but I am still missing it. I'm at a loss.

Thoughts?
Dan
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Help with the OMNI IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal00 View Post
I imported a track into Pro Tools, set up the output of the track to "Out 1-2", and I see meters on the Omni IO but I get no sound, from either the headphones
Push the CR/HP button and make sure the volume is not at HP-INF. What level is it set at?

Also, be careful with the default headphone volume. I found it too loud. Best to lower it before putting on the cans.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Dan,

Most of your settings look OK. Here are a few things to check.

In the Hardware Mixer Monitor Tab make sure you have a L and R box under 1 and 2. If not there, you can click on it with a "pencil tool" to get these settings.

Your Mixer Tab sounds OK.

In the PT I/O, just go to each tab and select "Default" for now.

On the Omni itself push in the volume knob in the Monitor section so that you are getting a display that shows "CR -25" (or some other CR -xx number) and make sure its turned up loud enough to hear your monitors (which also sound like they are connected correctly - TRS out 1 and 2). Make sure the setup button and all of the rest of the buttons in the monitor section are NOT lit up. You DO NOT want to be in Setup mode. You should now have sound. If not, turn the Omni off then on, reboot your computer, and start up PT. You should be good to go.

You can go back later and rename all of your I/O later once you see how it works with the Default settings.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Push the CR/HP button and make sure the volume is not at HP-INF. What level is it set at?

Also, be careful with the default headphone volume. I found it too loud. Best to lower it before putting on the cans.

Shane
Hi Shane,

Thanks for reaching out. I've set the OMNI back to default multiple times during this process to get back to the beginning, and the MUTE button is not lit.

I've scrolled the "CR" volume from -Inf to +10, and the same for the "HP" volume. Still nothing.

I did get the below error message from Pro Tools on the boot, but I've been disregarding it as it is dealing with input, not output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing Stems
The input path "A 1-2" was made inactive because its stem is missing.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Dan,

Most of your settings look OK. Here are a few things to check.

In the Hardware Mixer Monitor Tab make sure you have a L and R box under 1 and 2. If not there, you can click on it with a "pencil tool" to get these settings.

Your Mixer Tab sounds OK.

In the PT I/O, just go to each tab and select "Default" for now.

On the Omni itself push in the volume knob in the Monitor section so that you are getting a display that shows "CR -25" (or some other CR -xx number) and make sure its turned up loud enough to hear your monitors (which also sound like they are connected correctly - TRS out 1 and 2). Make sure the setup button and all of the rest of the buttons in the monitor section are NOT lit up. You DO NOT want to be in Setup mode. You should now have sound. If not, turn the Omni off then on, reboot your computer, and start up PT. You should be good to go.

You can go back later and rename all of your I/O later once you see how it works with the Default settings.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks also. I've tried resetting to default in all of the setup boxes as well. Before the initial post, I did a factory reset on the OMNI IO before checking the settings.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 AM

Danimal00,

Just as a check, make sure your Pro Tools I/O output tab settings look exactly like the I/O settings on page 89 of the PT Reference Guide.

If that doesn't fix it, then try the following to see if the Omni is working.

With PT running, go to Setup>Hardware>Mixer tab and make sure the "Record/Input Monitor setting is set to "Ignore (Manage mutes manually)". Save in PT, then shut down PT.

Then, as a check on the Omni itself, can you plug a guitar or other instrument into the front input Channel 1 with "Inst" selected and hear the guitar through your monitors? You should be able to hear your instrument through the monitors or headphones.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
...and post a screen shot of the Mix Window. Thanks.

Shane
For some reason, I cannot post attachments according to the "Posting Rules" in the forum.

Greg M,
Yes the I/O Setup, Output Page and the I/O Setup, Bus Page look like the examples in the Pro Tools Reference guide on page 89.

I did change this:
"With PT running, go to Setup>Hardware>Mixer tab and make sure the "Record/Input Monitor setting is set to "Ignore (Manage mutes manually)". Save in PT, then shut down PT."

... but still nothing. I've plugged in an iPod to the front inputs, and can see levels on the input meters, but still no sound from either the headphones or the speakers.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Bump
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Does the Omni have a MUTE button on the front? Just wondering as the old 002 and 003 units always power up with MUTE on by default(and it can't be changed).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks to Greg M, I am up and running. Greg, you are a great asset to the DUC. Thank you!
Danimal00