Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Default Fiddle/Violin samples for folk/rock?

Hi -- I wanted to ask if anyone's aware of fiddle/violin plugins that would be good for rock music (think "Camper Van Beethoven"). I know that Xpand has the Solo Violin but one's not cutting it -- too much vibrato and reverb that couldn't be disabled.

When I search online it seems like Structure should have some violin patches, but the pages that the links take me to all seem to be dead links now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bob
Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Fiddle/Violin samples for folk/rock?

EastWest/Quantum Leap seems to be the VI of choice.
I went with the much cheaper Miroslav option and slightly regretted it. You can get a decent result from Miroslav, but it takes a lot of fiddling... Pun intended.
But EWQLOS seems to be the default choice round these parts.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Fiddle/Violin samples for folk/rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
EastWest/Quantum Leap seems to be the VI of choice.
I went with the much cheaper Miroslav option and slightly regretted it. You can get a decent result from Miroslav, but it takes a lot of fiddling... Pun intended.
But EWQLSO seems to be the default choice round these parts.
EWQLSO violins, non-vibrato patches, and run it through your amp sim of choice. When I need this kind of sound I'll use Amplitube 3 and some gentle overdrive and get a perfect Jon-Luc Ponty sound. For folk you'll want something Celtic and EWQLSO Ra has that covered.

Some of the Miroslav low end (cheaper) stuff has nasty artifacts on it with any of the strings being the worst. I put it down to poor sampling technique and sample preparation.

QAPLA!