Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Is there an easy way to move plug ins to new hard drive

I have a very stable PT 12.7 running on Mavericks on a 2010 Mac 12core machine.

I recently threw a 250 SSD drive in another bay. Is there a way to copy and paste the existing plugins on to the SSD drive or will I have to re download all the plugs (Waves Gold , Izotope Ozone/trash/Air instrument etc etc individually. Over the years I've accumulated a Lot of plugins (over 100 on ilok alone plus the various other authorzations for Soundtoys Evendtide IK etc. Doable, but days of downloading authorizing etc.

As usual, any guidance appreciated
Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Is there an easy way to move plug ins to new hard drive

Make a clone of your existing drive. Grab a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, it has a free 30 day trial.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
I have a very stable PT 12.7 running on Mavericks on a 2010 Mac 12core machine.

I recently threw a 250 SSD drive in another bay. Is there a way to copy and paste the existing plugins on to the SSD drive or will I have to re download all the plugs (Waves Gold , Izotope Ozone/trash/Air instrument etc etc individually. Over the years I've accumulated a Lot of plugins (over 100 on ilok alone plus the various other authorzations for Soundtoys Evendtide IK etc. Doable, but days of downloading authorizing etc.

As usual, any guidance appreciated
Are you talking about moving the plugins themselves off your system drive onto the ssd? You don't want to do that. Leave them where they are on the system drive. The only thing to move off the system drive would be sample libraries.

QAPLA!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the responses to date. I will look into CCC. To be clear, I have PT 12 on two different drives running mavericks and sierra and another HD with Mountain lion and PT 10.3 ,simply because there are still some plugs like Melodyne Editor 3 and BFD Lite which were not updated to AAX64
Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses to date. I will look into CCC. To be clear, I have PT 12 on two different drives running mavericks and sierra and another HD with Mountain lion and PT 10.3 ,simply because there are still some plugs like Melodyne Editor 3 and BFD Lite which were not updated to AAX64
Install on each of the drives and have the authorizations on Ilok and/or ram stick. That's what I did on my machine with two boot partitions. I actually had a third with Yosemite but that wasn't stable so I deleted that partition.

But the upshot is you really should have them installed on the system drives and not a separate drive. OSX gets a little freaky having them in places they're not supposed to be.

QAPLA!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Install on each of the drives and have the authorizations on Ilok and/or ram stick. That's what I did on my machine with two boot partitions. I actually had a third with Yosemite but that wasn't stable so I deleted that partition.

But the upshot is you really should have them installed on the system drives and not a separate drive. OSX gets a little freaky having them in places they're not supposed to be.
That is my plan to have all the plug ins (except waves) in HD/Library/application support/avid/plugins. on both my regular HDD AND the SSD. I was hoping to copy and paste across but that did not seem to work. I have well over 200 plugs
Old 05-24-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
That is my plan to have all the plug ins (except waves) in HD/Library/application support/avid/plugins. on both my regular HDD AND the SSD. I was hoping to copy and paste across but that did not seem to work. I have well over 200 plugs
If you are talking about not changing anything, just moving from harddiskdrive to solidstatedrive, then in my experience, it's no problem at all. Just make a disk image of the disk and write it to a blank SSD. You'll love the speed!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I run off 2 different external SSDs (Yosemite and Sierra), plus the internal flash drive, on an iMac and find the flexibility a big plus, particularly for update 'testing'. I took the old school approach and simply booked a day a good Pinot Noir and installed from scratch, rationalizing what I really wanted and choosing not to install plug-ins I didn't use any more. Carbon Copy does work well, although I have not used it for a PT installation, simply because it can be a little 'sensitive'. However even if you have to reinstall PT and can move your plug-ins with CC, you're ahead of the game.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)