Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Default iscsi SAN?

I'm trying to get pro tools to work with a new setup we've got here at work. We've got a D-Link SAN that has 8TB raiding into 1x 4TB drive and 2x 2TB drives. I thought I'd read that pro tools could right directly using iscsi but I'm getting error 9131 whenever I try to record to the 2TB disk. Any ideas? Are there any out there using iscsi with pro tools? I'm using the globalSan isci initiator and the drives mount fine. I've partitioned and formated then to Apple's partition map but I can't get pro tools to work with them. The drives all show up in the workspace fine and they've all set to record but no matter what I do I always get the error. I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Default Re: iscsi SAN?

You are aware that ProTools does not support any sort of RAID drives right?

Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives.

Hard Drive Requirements
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Any update on your progress ? I'm heading towards iSCSI as well using the same globalSAN driver and a Netgear ReadyNAS pro.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM

We use the Studio Network Solutions X4's here at my studio. We have 4 of them. They will only work with protools when using SANmp client IN ADDITION to the globalsan initiator.

We've have a lot of success with the units and are overall very happy. We can have 96KHz/24bit sessions with 96 tracks in record in both of our tracking studios simultaneously. We have 8 people connecting to them and bounce projects between Protools HD (for tracking and mixing) and Protools LE (for editing and review) without any problems.

I have a feeling your problem is due to using MacOS to mount and unmount the drives. When using SANmp, you can't mount and unmount volumes using MacOS. You have to use SANmp. Something within the SANmp driver must be what is getting it to work flawlessly with Protools.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM

I probably should have expanded further... After you get globalsan to recognize/login to the drives, you format them in Disk Utility just like you would any other drive... THEN you open SANmp Admin and you convert the volumes to "sanmp volumes". In doing so they are encrypted/encoded and can no longer be mounted by MacOS, but then show up in the SANmp Client. Inside the client you can mount them as read only, read/write or write exclusive. Mounting them using SANmp causes the volumes to appear as "internal" volumes within the computer and have their own SANmp icons.

You should probably contact Studio Network Solutions for more information.

Last edited by O.G. Killa; 12-17-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarification