How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Help with audio signal input

Hello,

I have a strange issue that has recently started using my Pro-Tools 12 set up. I'm using a PC and a focusrite interface. I was recording as normal, and when I started a new project when I go to arm the track to record there is no signal to the mic. I've re-set all the audio settings to default and bought a new mic cable, and it still nothing.

The only sound that seems to pick up in the mic when I boost the game is a hum "buzzing" noise. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Mikal
Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Help with audio signal input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikal Amin View Post
Hello,

I have a strange issue that has recently started using my Pro-Tools 12 set up. I'm using a PC and a focusrite interface. I was recording as normal, and when I started a new project when I go to arm the track to record there is no signal to the mic. I've re-set all the audio settings to default and bought a new mic cable, and it still nothing.

The only sound that seems to pick up in the mic when I boost the game is a hum "buzzing" noise. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Mikal
Understand that troubleshooting blind over the internet is difficult even with clear and concise communication. So first for some quick clarification, are you talking about a cloud collaboration "project" or an internal pro tools "session" ?

And are you saying you had recorded in a session in 12 and it worked, and then for some reason when you started a new session you were not getting a signal in the mic channel ?

Also for clarification , signal does not go "to" the mic , signal flows from the mic to the mic preamp, and from the preamp "to" the converters, and from the converters "to" an input channel in the DAW ) ?

And is the PT I/O window showing the correct channel from the Focusrite ?
Is the mic a condenser ? and if so is the phantom power on the Focusrite ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-24-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM

K Roche,

Thank you for responding. Yes it is a pro tools session. I selected new track and hit 'record' and the mic seemingly wasn't picking up sound and in the same session right before, it was.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM

You are not going to get a lot of help without a clear description of what you are doing. Start at the "Help us help you" link up the top of every DUC web page. Pretend you are explaining stuff to a bunch of dummies who have *no clue* what you are doing... coz we don't.

Your minimal description is already confusing. You said you started a new "project", but the mic was not working, then you say that the mic was working in the same session just before. So what is it? Did you start a new Pro Tools session or not? Or did you restart Pro Tools or your computer and try to use an existing Pro Tools session or what *exactly* did you do?

What exactly is the Pro Tools playback engine set to? (A very common problem if you restarted Pto Tools is this will be set to something besides your interface, ... always check).

Do the Settings>IO>Inout/Output look correct?

What exactly is the track IO input and output set to?

Is track input monitoring enabled?

What exact Focusrite interface. What computer.

What exactly do you mean by "no signal". OK you can't hear anything from the mic.... but is that when the transport is running/in record mode? transport stopped? Do the track meters ever move? Are there mic preamp meters on the interface--do they move?

What exact make/model mic is plugged into exactly what input with what cable? (now you've changed to cable that was working before... so tell us about both).
Does the Mic need phantom power? has it got it?
What is the preamp gain set to?
What are you recording with the mic?

Start by trashing prefs, starting Pro Tools and checking the playback engine is correct and then creating a new Pro Tools session with only one mono audio track (make sure it is an audio not instrument track) connected to the mic input to troubleshoot what you are doing wrong.

If you are still stuck start posting screenshots of the playback engine dialog, Setup>IO/{input, output, bus} pages, and the Pro Tools mix window showing that one track session and the input/output IO selectors on that track.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 PM

Hey Darryl,

I will try your suggestions and get back to you. I am pretty novice with my set up, so sorry for the confusion and appreciate you taking the time. I am definitely lost on the right terminology, I can try screenshots a little later when I open up the system.

the input and outputs are set to mic 1 (I believe that's correct?) and all of the settings looked correct (I didn't change them once I moved to a new track). I re-set the I/O system preferences and it still didnt work earlier before you all responded. I am using a focusrite scarlett solo and a ADK Pro Audio machine (PC).
Old 04-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Yes post screenshots if you still have problems.

“mic” anything should not be showing up as an output option... even if you see IO options that look correct that does. *not* mean that the correct playback engine is selected—always start by checking the playback engine dialogue panel... or you can force the dialog panel to appear by holding down the N key when you start Pro Tools, keep the N key held down until that dialog panel appears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 PM

In addition to the advice above, consider more ideas;
#1-check local craigslist and pro tools dealers for someone that will come give you a few hours of(paid) tutoring to help with getting you on the right track.
#2-youtube can be a great free source of tutorial videos to help you.
#3-Groove 3 is a killer tutorial service that is well worth the price

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave