How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Window Configurations & Control Pages

Greetings All

Has anyone noticed Window Configurations lack of ability to save any varying AIR group VI Control Pages?

Given the fact that none of the AIR group VIs support Control Page Shortcuts, Window Configurations would be a sure-fire workaround ...nope!

Limitation?

filosofem
Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Window Configurations & Control Pages

Digi?

filo
Old 05-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Hey, filo.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I use Xpand, Hybrid and Velvet, so I'm rather deep into AIR land. I'm intrigued. Would you care to elaborate?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Fellow AIR head.

Stig, lets use Hybrid as thee example, since Velvet doesn't have Control Pages. Xpand does however, but, Hybrid illustrates my point better.

Anyways, Hybrids Control Page tabs: Part A, SEQ A, Part B, SEQ B, Common, Effects and the Presets Page tab.
Now, none of these Page tabs are supported by Keyboard Shortcuts, as you know, the only way to navigate is to mouse them.

With Window Configurations, Plug-Ins and VIs can be assigned, then recalled by Keyboard Shorts, as you know, so ...why not assign Control Page tabs for recall?

Obviously this doesn't work.

Penny for your thoughts?

filo
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Ah, I see what you mean.

I've never thought about accessing VI control pages using window configurations. For me, the current feature set in Pro Tools is sufficient...until the next big thing comes along. "How could I ever get something done without these new features?"

I can't see myself creating window configurations for different VI control pages. I would probably blow a fuse trying to remember them all. But maybe if one could have the possibilities you describe via a "plugin target" keyboard preference? Like a modular keyboard-to-plugin mode where you in Hybrid could use "keyboard learn" to tell Hybrid how to respond to different keyboard commands:

1) Click on Part A in the VI - hit "P" on the keyboard
2) Click on Part B in the VI - hit "P" again, and "P" now toggles between Part A and Part B
3) Click on SEQ A in the VI - hit "S" on the keyboard
4) Click on SEQ B in the VI - hit "S" again, and "S" now toggles between SEQ A and SEQ B

Of course, one could assign all control pages to one key and just toggle away. I know nothing about programming, so I may be talking schibidibom here. But I do think that doing what you want with window configurations would be awkward.

Back to you, filo.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Yeah I like. So sort of like a MIDI Learn functionality, except Keyboard Learn.

Ummm... just to throw a spanner in the works here, one question begs to be asked, just why haven't AIR implemented Keyboard Shortcuts?

Taking this one step further, the 003 supports Hardware Control of Strike via MIDI Mode as a Default MIDI Map Preset. It just makes you wonder what's on the horizon regarding new AIR VI Hardware Control above the 003 family.

BTW WTF does schibidibom mean anyway, Stig?

filo
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
BTW WTF does schibidibom mean anyway, Stig?
Just something I picked up when watching cartoons with my girlfriends 6 years old daughter. I'm not certain, but I got a distinct feeling that schibidibom means BS.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Stig, your a man of VIs, what sort of Hardware Control unit do you use, if any? Command 8?

Ideally, what would you like to see in a VI Hardware Controller?

Basically, I just use what ever available MIDI Controller Pots (MIDI Learn), although assigning and reassigning is a major pain in the bum. The 003 MIDI Mode (MIDI Map Presets) is a very interesting concept.

Any thoughts?

filo
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM

I don't use any controllers or consoles. I tried a Command|8 once, but I hated the faders and sent it back.
MIDI map presets sounds interesting. I've also heard about controllers with auto-mapping, but I don't know how well this works.

I would like to see a totally "floating" controller, where you can save every setup. By "floating" I mean that every knob/fader can be assigned to whatever VI parameter you like, and then saved. Rotary encoders, smooth faders, a modulation wheel, pitch bend and a decent keyboard to actually play on.

So, what I want from a controller is pretty basic, and...already on the market?

PS: For a limited time only I've been pretty fed up with VIs, programming, plugins, etc., so I bought a Fender American Jazz Bass. Man, those things are wonderful and inspirational!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 PM

I like the 'floating' parameter assignment idea, Avid Xpress has this with the 002. Though, the concept is Hardware Interface or Keyboard related, it's not a dedicated VI Control surface, I was thinking something a long the lines of this with better Rotary encoders. Where you have mapped AIR VI hardware control Presets and saveable Presets like that of the 003.

BTW, how many Instruments do you play?

filo