Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Exponential Audio new file format

This is what found on EA site when you want to update your current plugin:
Stratus (version 2.0.0) Important note: Your favorites and global parameters can not be read by this new version. We have changed the file format from earlier versions and are unable to translate. Please make a note of those settings before you install this release.

I couldn't believe its true so I updated to the v. 2.0.0 and indeed all the setting was wrong and nothing sounded the same as it was with the previous version.

So I had to revert to the previous version as I am in the middle of the project with many instances of EA plugins and few older projects are still waiting for some deliverables.

This is a major upgrade and I am not sure I can allow for my self updating to a newer version anytime soon (without swapping between different versions in the plugin folder).

I love EA, but having no backward compatibility is a bit frustrating... or am I missing something

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Exponential Audio new file format

I'm not up on their plugins so can't steak to your main question. I have been a beta tester before, though (as we all are these days), and can speak to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
This is a major upgrade and I am not sure I can allow for my self updating to a newer version anytime soon (without swapping between different versions in the plugin folder).
I've often had two different boot drives for this purpose. It's a major PITA, but it can work.

I wonder if it would be practical to freeze the tracks with your v1 plugins and do new processing with the v2 ones?

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM

EA specifically mentions it and you don't believe it's true. Really?!

You upgraded a plugin in the middle of a project? Who does that?

Quote:
I love EA, but having no backward compatibility is a bit frustrating... or am I missing something
This seems all very overblown. Now if it wasn't mentioned, then there'd be something here to complain about but Michael plastered that info everywhere.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
EA specifically mentions it and you don't believe it's true. Really?!

You upgraded a plugin in the middle of a project? Who does that?

This seems all very overblown. Now if it wasn't mentioned, then there'd be something here to complain about but Michael plastered that info everywhere.
Okay, may be its a matter of language, so I didn't explain myself right.
But I can read english well and I understand completely whats written.
The purpose of my post was not a complain but a search for the advise from the users who made the jump or found some solution for the issue. Its quite uncommon now days that a version upgrade would break its previous version functionality.
And yes, Michael posted that everywhere which is a professional and responsible behaviour toward users (we can expect).

Responding to your rude reaction "Who does that?": we are constantly in the middle of some project and there will be never "a good time" for trying new plugin version. Especially its not a big deal when you always can revert back in minutes. (The operating system is a different story)

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-21-2018, 10:53 AM

I think a better idea would be to change the identifier of the new plugin so it would be possible to run both the new and the old version together
Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Its quite uncommon now days that a version upgrade would break its previous version functionality.
I'm complaining about that. I don't use their plugins, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever did. Not being able to open an old project and have your plugins work sucks, especially if you've been sending money to keep upgrading them.

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 AM

The answer is in the quote from EA

Quote:
Please make a note of those settings before you install this release.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
especially if you've been sending money to keep upgrading them.
The upgrades are free.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I think a better idea would be to change the identifier of the new plugin so it would be possible to run both the new and the old version together
Thats would be a perfect solution if we'd see in the plugins list e.g. Stratus (and all the old sessions would read it as usual) and Stratus New for newer sessions. I am not skilful enough though to say if its technically possible.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Release Notes

Quote:
2.0.0 Release
⁃ Efficiently improvements in plotting meters and EQ curves
⁃ CPU licensing is now available. If you already have a license, you should sync your iLok and then deactivate the license. Afterwards, you can move it to your iLok or your CPU.
⁃ There are still issues in DaVinci Resolve. At the present time, the most recent build of Resolve (15.2) does not appear to launch the plugin in the proper format. This has been brought to DaVinci's attention.
⁃ Other internal changes.
⁃ Default value for Tooltips is now off
⁃ Zoom button now works for Presonus Studio One 4. Earlier versions of Studio One did not properly support zooming.
⁃ Major version number bump because of internal changes
⁃ Executable size is now significantly smaller. Launching should be a little faster.
⁃ Executable size is now significantly smaller
Global parameters and favorites now have a new file format. Despite significant effort, we are not able to convert the older format. Please make a note of favorites and global parameters so they can be re-entered
⁃ Added a 2.1 format to support DaVinci Resolve. Waiting for changes in an upcoming Resolve beta. At this time, Resolve 15.2.1 does not support.
⁃ Improve handling of Bypass
⁃ Improved handling of situation in which customer attempts to restore a session using Stratus when there's no license available
⁃ There was a rare situation that could occur if a DAW was open but inactive for a long period of time. Computer energy management could potentially put the DAW to sleep. This might cause a license error message that could only be resolved by exiting the DAW. This has been resolved.
⁃ Fixed an errant note in the log file that indicated failure to load a graphics file.
⁃ Some possible improvements for DaVinci Resolve
⁃ Improvements for VEPro
⁃ Improved recognition of stem formats in Studio One
⁃ A significant tightening up of the way surround formats are recognized. Many VST DAWs have very poor surround implementations, and this is part of an ongoing attempt to get around those shortcomings. It's possible that this beta might have broken a few. Please let us know if you face any problems.
Haven't dealt with Pace in a long time but I believe if a new plugin id number is given, Exponential Audio would have to reissue iLok assets to everyone for the new plugin (with an associated cost.) You couldn't have two plugins using the same iLok wrapper to authourize as they'd each need individual keys.