Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 07:34 PM

Default Import Audio/Video Files Stalling Out

I have a Dell G5 Gaming Desktop (2020) and ProTools Version 2020.12.0. It's brand new and this is my first time working on both the computer and version of Pro Tools.

Every time I try to import a video into my ProTools session it stalls out 3/4 of the way through the audio files import. It doesn't pop up with a failure window, just stops loading and stalls out until my computer turns off or Pro Tools shuts down.

If I try to just import the video without audio files it pops up with this error, "Unable to link file ...(name of the file)... due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported."

I can't get any work done! Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Import Audio/Video Files Stalling Out

I had this problem before on PT 2020.12 on Windows 10. I used Shutter Encoder to transcode the video file (MP4) to 264 .mov and that allowed me to import the video with it's audio. This was a few months ago.

Later, I could import the video, but the audio import would stall. I used Shutter Encoder to copy the audio from the video and then imported the wave file.

After a Windows update, video import with audio worked again. However, I tried one video file (MP4) a couple of days ago and got the audio okay and a video file, but the video was black and "Media Offline" within showing. Any other MP4 imports fine. I think there is an issue with the video's resolution, but can't say that definitively.

I'm on the latest Windows 10 with 2020.12. You could try updating Windows if Shutter Encoder doesn't help, but I would do a backup - image or clone - first so you have a recovery option. I would also check and see if you have the latest Avid Codecs installed. They should be in your Account.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction