How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Drum programme similar to strike

Hiya

Could anyone suggest a replacement drum programme similar to Avid Strike which will work with pro tools 12. I have been using Strike but its not compatible now we have upgraded

Many thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Drum programme similar to strike

Strike is compatible w/PT12 but you need to upgrade it. What version do you have?

If you want something similar, that would be BFD3. It offers more than Strike in my opinion.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Strike is compatible w/PT12 but you need to upgrade it. What version do you have?

If you want something similar, that would be BFD3. It offers more than Strike in my opinion.
Or Toontrack's Superior Drummer.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 AM

Thanks Fellas.We have the original Strike..Version 1.0.
I had a chat with the AIR tech dept. here in Uk about ours not working with our new set up on IMAC El Capitan and pro tools 12 and he said even the latest Strike would not work.Maybe this is incorrect..i would be willing to upgrade but he said there's no point at the moment!
I liked to use it as i was programming tracks with time signature changes and with some tweaking Strike would usually follow the time sig. map i had made.Do the other programmes you have mentioned have similar features.TBH Strike is the only one i have used so i'm interested to find out what else is available.

Many Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire Sky View Post
Thanks Fellas.We have the original Strike..Version 1.0.
I had a chat with the AIR tech dept. here in Uk about ours not working with our new set up on IMAC El Capitan and pro tools 12 and he said even the latest Strike would not work.Maybe this is incorrect..i would be willing to upgrade but he said there's no point at the moment!
I liked to use it as i was programming tracks with time signature changes and with some tweaking Strike would usually follow the time sig. map i had made.Do the other programmes you have mentioned have similar features.TBH Strike is the only one i have used so i'm interested to find out what else is available.

Many Thanks
Strike V2 works with Pro Tools 12, I have it running here.

I know Superior Drummer, but haven't seen BFD in many years. However, from memory I think it is more like Superior Drummer than Strike.

The way superior drummer works is quite different to strike.

With Strike, you load in a 'suite', and you end up with preset intros, verses, fills, choruses, etc etc, as midi patterns mapped out across the keyboard, so you can trigger different rhythms through the song just by sending the correct note message. The actual drum sounds are loaded as part of loading the song. You also have access to the individual drums via other midi notes, so you can embellish the preset patterns.

With superior drummer (and I think BFD) you get several drum kits, and alternate kit pieces within each kit, and many more are available as extra purchases.

Then, seperately to the drum kits, superior drummer cones with a large selection of midi files that are used to trigger the chosen kit.

These midi file patterns appear inside superior drummer and can be auditioned with any of the available kits you choose to load, plus if set to sync to the DAW will play in time when your session is playing.

If you have any other midi drum pattern files from elsewhere, you can use them within superior drummer just by copying them into a specific folder that superior drummer looks into for midi files. These can be auditioned inside superior drummer in exactly the same way as the built in patterns. Any midi pattern can be used with any kit.

When you find midi patterns you like, you drag/drop them from within superior drummer onto the instrument track that superior drummer is instantiated on. Just place them where you want on the timeline.

You construct the song by dragging the intros, verses, choruses, fills, etc etc patterns onto the timeline, and, of course, you can then edit the midi data to create even more variation if you want.

There are no restrictions, you can mix and match midi patterns from different styles however you want.

So they operate quite differently. Strike is more similar in concept to Steinberg's Groove Agent. You load a style and that gets you the kit and a variety of rhythmic patterns to use with it. The complexity and dynamics sliders let you further affect how the pattern sounds. I do also like that that there is a pattern editor in Strike to allow you to edit patterns too.

Superior Drummer (and BFD) are more focused on complete adjustability to create the perfect drum kit you want. You have to drag and drop midi patterns onto a track in the session to create your song.

So, its not as instantaneous as Strike, but is much more customisable. Swings and roundabouts, each have their own advantages.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 AM

Many thanks for the detailed reply Nigel.It is greatly appreciated after a soul sapping switch to a new Imac after our last one fizzled out.The Air website says Strike 2 works with Pro tools 11 but no mention of 12.I guess this is what the chap on the phone was looking at when i asked him to upgrade our version.I might just give it a try as you have it up and running.

Craig
Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Or Toontrack's Superior Drummer.
Superior Drummer is not as similar to Strike as BFD3. BFD3 has a built in Groove Programmer like Strike.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-02-2016, 03:22 PM

FYI
Version 2. whatever of Strike does allow for some nice pattern editing that I don't recall being a part of V1 Sure it starts with a factory pattern but you can change the pattern and vary which parts of the kit are in use.

The components of the kits can be easily interchanged.

If you utilize multiple outs you can track different mics on the kick for example so you could get a separate track for front, back etc. That's pretty handy, not just for programming but also for coming up with a sample to layer on live rigs I've found.

OR
Maybe the stock snare sound works on the verse but you want a little more highs in the chorus.. you could retrack having changed the mic settings on the existing snare slot OR you could load the same snare onto an empty slot inside Strike, go into the pattern edit screen, copy the pattern of the existing snare onto the new snare, change the mic sliders to suite the arrangement, hit record, mix to taste.. Last time I used BFD, you couldn't do that without creating a new instrument. Which is ok, but in a busy mix isn't it more beneficial to have your assets "co-located" for lack of a better term.

Anyway the newer version of Strike is definitely worth a look
Apollo16 x2; 11 Rack; AxeFX; TwoNotesStudio; Line 6 Pod;
Artist Control, Mix, Transport; Control 1; Axiom49; NI Komplete Control
Amphion ONE15; Focal A50; HR824; and more;

Last edited by WilliebSR; 05-02-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-03-2016, 11:38 AM

One thing to consider about this is whether or not you need the kit to sound like real drums. IMHO BFD and Superior do a better job of this than Strike. Strike is convenient but the sound pallet is not quite as fully realized.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
One thing to consider about this is whether or not you need the kit to sound like real drums. IMHO BFD and Superior do a better job of this than Strike. Strike is convenient but the sound pallet is not quite as fully realized.
(1) you can import your own samples into Strike
(2) you can “Mute” Strike and have a MIDI Track you recorded with Strike play another Drum VI’s samples
(3) you can have Strike, as well as another Drum VI, playing a MIDI Track you recorded with Strike

It’s nice to have a choice

Ezy Drummer (easier than Superior Drummer) seems very popular
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!