Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2001, 07:27 PM

Default How did you pro\'s know you were cut out for sound engineering? Schools you attended?

First off, awesome board...learned more tricks here in 2 weeks than 3 months of browsing at some Logic/Cubase forums...OMG those were such a waste of time!

Consider me young and inexperienced when it comes to "pro" sound engineering/recording/production ... I'm just an amateur... will be 21 in a matter of days and have taught all I know (engineering/recording wise) to myself...no instructors/tutors or friends to aid me...just the internet/forums/tutorial literature/manuals. Currently an undergrad at RPI (senior in fall) studying Biomedical Engineering ... minor in electronic music...and I'm still torn in which direction I want to take my career (yes I know...kinda late in the game to be thinking what I want to do..but...). Biomed is a great field, don't get me wrong...lots of money to be made and job opportunities...but I'm just not sure if I really see myself happy as an biomed eng/or physician 10 years from now. I'm just so nervous that I might lose the desire to keep up in these academically intense cut-throat fields...not even sure if I'm cut out for them...ultimately I think I've lost the drive for them. Maybe I'm burned out after all these years on the books and my wheels are simply not cranking in the forward Biomed/Med school direction anymore.

I caught the producing/recording bug about 2 years ago and have progressed pretty quickly I'd say. Have been musically inclined since 4-5 yrs old. I think I'm intelligent and talented enough to make the leap over to a sound engineering career...but to a successful career? how do I know for sure? Is it worth the risk? What factors should I consider that I'm more than likely overlooking as a young ignorant guy? I know these are really vague or general questions, but sharing just a bit of your educational history and sage would be sooo appreciated...just give me a taste of the love you have for your career...and the hate for it as well.

I'm in a really confused period at this time, and have not been getting great advice from school advisors/parents etc...they all think I should stick with my current track because it's the right thing to do...they just don't realize I've lost interest...not even sure if I had it in the first place...think I was doing it to follow my fathers footsteps (a vascular surgeon).

I've been a classical pianist since I was boy... know my theory ... would consider myself fluent with VA/Analog synths/d.machines/samplers/Logic Platinum programming...have a grasp on the compositional/production elements of electronic music...but making pro recordings is still not my forte...probably mostly due to the fact I havent been surrounded by the right people and instructors. Is it too late though? Have I missed the boat? I don't even know anyone local (Albany NY) here that is on the same wavelength as myself ...and say I did apply, what kind of credentials do they look for? I really don't have many at all...just hard sciences/research and athletics...and some high distinctions in classical piano. And say I did get into a Sound Engineering school...arent most of these people already ahead of me in the ball game...I'm sure they've been on the court longer than I have.

I'm not experienced in recording/engineering for "other" parties... only my own productions (piano/progressive house/techno)...some mic work here and there...but I'm talking simple mic stuff. I don't know how to play a variety of instruments...so how would I know how to master them...give them the necessary flavor/eq/compression/blah blah...is this all taught in sound engineering school? Or does it help to be somewhat familiar with "many" instruments before-hand jumping into the pool?

I read many of these posts here, and the degree to which you engineers have mastered your talents/careers/equipment makes my jaw drop...I know you've put many many hrs behind the wheels of high powered/well funded studios and have been taught very well some way or another...but how did you guys know you were cut out for this field? What kind of motivation or encouragement did you have to pick your careers? How did you know you had the talent at my age when you were probably going through some type of education? Which schools do you recommend I look at? Would I have to start an undergrad schooling over because I'm on a completely different track as we speak?

Well I'm going to play it safe for now...get my biomed eng degree...and start from there. But I really need to start thinking about this now...because if I were to apply to a sound engineering school, this would be next fall-spring...but maybe not...maybe I should take a year off and figure myself out.

Guys, this is post is really important to me...after getting a feel for the professional atmosphere here at the DUC, I felt that this would be great area to ask some of the basic questions. Hopefully this will help other young guns in the process.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PwAg (edited June 08, 2001).]