Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Default New session and disk allocation

Call me an idiot but there's one thing that pisses me off lately about protools so I'll just ask it and you tell me if I have a valid point or if I should just shut up (sorry for such language).

Let's say I create a new session called "Hit Song 1" and then go into the disk allocation settings and make sure that the audio files go into the newly created folder for this session. I create a new audio called "Loop1" and record 1 bar loop. When I go into the audio folder I see a file called Loop1_01.aif. Ok, everything seems normal.

Now, let's create another new session called "Hit Song 2" but this time I won't touch the disk allocation settings, I'll just make a new track called "Loop1" and will record a 1 bar loop. When I go into the new folder for this session the Audio Files folder doesn't even exist but all audio goes into previous session folder.
I don't even know how to express myself here but this really gets me. I'm not a robot so I do forget to set disk allocation for a new session many times, but I though that's why we have computers, to do things we can't or forget to do. Isn't it logical that when I create a new session things get saved in the place I just created UNLESS I SPECIFIED it differently?
DIGI, why not include disk allocation settings in the new session menu? I know I can fix scattered files session by using "Save Copy In" option but I don't want to do this.
What happens is I will backup a session and delete it from local drive only to find out that I had 4 different session storing audio files into the session I just got rid of, so I need to waste time fixing that and wonder if there are any other session that will pop up with the same issue later on.
Another cool thing that could happen is by giving my client a backup archive I could give some copyrighted label material away not even knowing that it's there and you never know what can happen to it.

Anyway, I said it, I was actually really nice about it but when I had to spend hours fixing things (and it's not the first time) I wasn't happy at all.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: New session and disk allocation

I totally agree with you. What makes it even worse is that templates on a PC do not seem to work AT ALL so to start a new project with your template you have to import session data (our template has 32 tracks monitoring a separate Nuendo system). If templates worked then i suppose i wouldnt have to think about disk allocation. The problem here is that when im not in the studio and the composer is on their own, they end up saving stuff in god knows what folders. If i try and explain disk allocation to them their eyes just glaze over and rightly so - they shouldnt have to think about those things. I guess i am used to using Cubase where such a thing is not even a consideration. Please digidesign can you sort this out? Pretty please?

Cheers,
James