Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Default Pro Tools Input Connectivity with ART Voice Channel

I have an ART Voice channel Preamp that I was attempting to use via USB connection. The drivers successfully installed, and my computer is receiving audio from the Preamp. In Pro Tools I was able to go into Setup<<Hardware and select the device, however I am not able to select a working input for the device on a specific audio track. On the Input Dropdown menu, I get the interface option, and then the options Audio In A, Audio In B, SPDIF 1, SPDIF 2, but none of these options correspond or receive audio from my device.

Any setup suggestions or information to solve this problem and input audio to a specific track?
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Input Connectivity with ART Voice Channel

Does this unit have any outputs for playback? To be workable as an audio interface(aka Audio Engine in Pro Tools Hardware setup), you need input AND output(I've never seen this piece). If it does indeed have the ins and outs, you could try using ASIO4ALL(a free "universal" ASIO driver). After looking at the unit's features, I don't think it will work as an audio interface for Pro Tools so I think a real interface is needed(but the preamp should work fine via line input or SPDIF on most any interface). Maybe someone else will have more insight as I am going only on what I found on the web.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Does this unit have any outputs for playback? To be workable as an audio interface(aka Audio Engine in Pro Tools Hardware setup), you need input AND output(I've never seen this piece). If it does indeed have the ins and outs, you could try using ASIO4ALL(a free "universal" ASIO driver). After looking at the unit's features, I don't think it will work as an audio interface for Pro Tools so I think a real interface is needed(but the preamp should work fine via line input or SPDIF on most any interface). Maybe someone else will have more insight as I am going only on what I found on the web.
I went and read the manual. I suspect you are right about needing ASIO4ALL. The USB interface is supposed to interface ith whatever on board sound chip the computer has. And the sample crate an and bit depth are set there. 44.1 and 24bit are what the OP would want to select here. Once the ART is linked and synced with the the computer ASIO4ALL should interface between the sound card and Pro Tools. At least that's my guess on how things should work.

I'd like to know how it sounds I thought my Digital MPA II and VLA sound pretty good fr the money. Assuming ASIO4ALL works this could be a great VoiceOver solution.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM

I gave it a look at the ART website and the only outputs on it, I believe, are for sending the audio FROM the preamp, out. I didn't see any monitor outputs or headphone out. If this is accurate, then its not likely to work on any Windows machine. It COULD work on a Mac with Aggregate, which would allow for input from the ART, and output thru the Mac's audio outs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I gave it a look at the ART website and the only outputs on it, I believe, are for sending the audio FROM the preamp, out. I didn't see any monitor outputs or headphone out. If this is accurate, then its not likely to work on any Windows machine. It COULD work on a Mac with Aggregate, which would allow for input from the ART, and output thru the Mac's audio outs
Good point. I was only thinking about the inputs.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88