Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2002, 06:21 AM

Default HD 96 I/O vs MOTU 2408mk3

Hello -
I'm currently a DIGI001 PTLE user, and have been thinking about upgrading to the HD system at some time.

A couple of the things that have disappointed me the most with the PT systems are the # of available "simultaneous" inputs and the lacking of SMTPE sync. We do lots of live tracking on Tascam DA-XX series machines, and like to move it into ProTools for editing and mixing.

Given the price of the PT HD core system without the audio interface, what is the biggest reason to go HD vs something like the MOTO systems?

For example - what is the difference between the new HD 96 I/O unit vs. the new MOTU 2408mk3? Both have 96kz, both have 8 simultaneous inputs, and both have ADAT optical.

However, the MOTU also includes:
1) SMTPE time code sync (w/o buying somethign extra)
2) THREE banks of ADAT optical or TDIF (for 24 simultaneous digital inputs) vs only 8-channels of ADAT optical on the PT 96 i/o.

The interfaces are approximately the same list price ... around $2K. I guess the obvious difference is that the MOTU piece has it's own CORE system included.

I feel like I must be missing something here ... so if my question is totally ignorant - please excuse!

Seriously though - I'm a ProTools lover - I love the software, and I love the compatibility I have with PT.

Both pieces offer 96Kz ... so, what's the advantage of spending $10K+ for PT HD over $2K for more inputs, and 96kz??

(I'm assuming that you cannot use PT software with the MOTU piece, and I have no clue how the MOTU software compares to PT (AudioDesk?)

Thanks in advance,
Fred F. McKinnon
Highest Praise Productions, Inc.
Free MP3, Leadsheets, Music
Old 09-30-2002, 09:31 AM

Default Re: HD 96 I/O vs MOTU 2408mk3

i guess that the main reason for using a digi interface is that you need one to run protools..and protools is the default program used in almost every major studio in the world....
i have used motu with cakewalk and sonar for many years and still have a system i use for gigasampler...but i use protools because all the studios i work in and bring work ro and from has protools...and hd sounds great.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:39 PM

I think the big issue is latency. I have a friend
with the 2408, and he says he can't use it during overdubs because of the terrible latency when listening through the converter. He basically splits the outputs of a da 88, one to the console for monitoring and the other to the 2408 to record. If you aren't doing overdubs, or have da88s or something with light pipe to use as a front end, i guess it isnt as
big of an issue.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:33 PM

last week I mastered a job entirely done on a Motu 2408 MK2 and it does not compare to my mix + system audio quality. It is something like a DIGI 001 or a little better, no comparison with an HD system, which is a step further from Mix..
My opinion, oka?
] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:26 AM

The 2408 mk3 with its new PCI card has a 96 channel onboard dsp mixer to eliminate monitoring latency issues.

Here's a thought - use the 2408 to load your 24 tracks of DA88, then switch to ProTools for editing and mixing.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:46 AM

Hey ya'll ---

Am I missing something? It looks like some posts to this thread are either deleted, invisible, or I've "caching" the page - because I received email notification that "the truth" had replied to THIS thread today, and I see the reply nowhere - and he had posted earlier, and those messages are long gone?

Am I crazy, or are those posts somewhere else?

Thanks,
Fred
Free MP3, Leadsheets, Music