Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Meters won't peak while recording...EVER!!?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Well, what I meant to say was - as long as you're in pre-fader metering mode - the tracks own meter should not clip. Of course, if you boost it with the fader or plugin and send it to an aux or master, it will clip that track's meter. But not its own.

Is one of your PT systems set up to do pre-fader metering, and the other not?
It should be in the options menu.

Edit: Oh, and clip gain. That would also be a way of boosting the signal, so I guess the meter would clip.
Usually this would answer my question however my HD system at the studio is NOT set up for post fader metering. For example, even when my guide track's fader is completely down, the meter will still display activity and even show clipping. This also is not a clip gain thing because we are only using PT9 HD which does not have clip gain at all.

I am so stumped here. I wish I could figure this out. Any more ideas?

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

Hey. I believe I am having a similar issue. I have an UA Apollo interface, but it's pretty much the same thing you are describing. The levels coming in to ProTools are lower than the levels I see in the Apollo's software mixer application. I have to crank up/distort the preamps on the Apollo to get the meter inside ProTools to come close to clipping. I was thinking there must be some kind of calibration or input trim setting that I don't know about -- either in the Apollo software or (more likely) in ProTools. Sound like your issue?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkrizmanich View Post
Hey. I believe I am having a similar issue. I have an UA Apollo interface, but it's pretty much the same thing you are describing. The levels coming in to ProTools are lower than the levels I see in the Apollo's software mixer application. I have to crank up/distort the preamps on the Apollo to get the meter inside ProTools to come close to clipping. I was thinking there must be some kind of calibration or input trim setting that I don't know about -- either in the Apollo software or (more likely) in ProTools. Sound like your issue?
This kind of sounds like the problem I WAS having earlier on in this thread (which I solved a few pages ago) but now I have another issue.

Anyone able to clear up the confusion on my last comment please let me know.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM

So, anyone have any ideas... :)
Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Wow, really? No one has any idea?!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Once again, I am bumping this thread as no one has seems to be able to answer it yet.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Do you have any active inserts on your guide track messing up your gain staging? Screen shots could be helpful.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Do you have any active inserts on your guide track messing up your gain staging? Screen shots could be helpful.
No inserts are being used on our guide track at all. I would post screenshots but I am not sure how helpful they would be as you would just be looking at a meter which is clipping.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM

What is the sample rate of your session? What is the sample rate of your imported track? It's a long shot, but that may cause issues.

Are you able to monitor the imported track in a different daw and see if its happening there? What is the track peaking at in different software?

If its just a guide track why not use a trim pluggin and turn it down? If its not a keeper why does it matter if its clipping the channel fader ?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Focusrite

Hi illution1,

I cannot speak to Univeral Audio's gear, but the issue here was solved via a Driver update.

The software on our unit is showing what is happening right in the A/D Converter. The audio then goes through the driver and in to Pro Tools. So the problem this customer experienced was in the driver.

You may want to may sure you have all the latest driver updates and contact Universal Audio directly.

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/