Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2003, 02:14 PM

Default How can I get gigastudio to work with my Digi 001 system

I have a 001 with PTLE 5.3.1. I am interested in running GigaStudio, but I have heard that there are no drivers to use the 001 as a MIDI or I/O device... Is this true? And if so can I really use another I/O device without conflict and use PT as my sequencer?

Does anyone out there use one computer with a 001 and GigaStudio that can help. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Re: How can I get gigastudio to work with my Digi 001 system

Thanks Jonah.

Do you know if I could record to PTLE using GS as the sound source and PTLE as the sequencer? The reason that I ask is that GigaStudio 32 is the cheapest version but it doesn't have recording capability. And I would like to invest in Gigastudio, but I want to make sure that I buy the right version.

I just want to make sure that I don't buy GigaStudio and then have to buy a ton of hardware (besides a sound card) to get it to work.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:12 AM

Hi
You'll need a second soundcard that supports giga as Digi won't. Check their website for compatability but most M-Audio and Event cards will - you have a choice of various amounts of ins and outs on the cards or breakout boxes. Buy one with a breakout box / spdif and run the output into Digi. As far as I know, Digi midi will control GS but there's a specific method you need to use. If you email GS at Tascam they'll mail you back with the way to do it.There's also a specific way of running PTLE and GS together which they can also send you. Bit complicated but once it's set up you shouldn't have a problem. Don't forget you'll need the software on a different drive to your audio files and it needs a fast drive too.
Really, the GS website ( which funnily enough looks an awful lot like this one!) is the place to go and post GS specific questions. Click here ...
web page
Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2003, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure but try posting your question on their forum - they know a lot more than I do!
Old 02-26-2003, 01:34 PM

Yes you can definitely use the PT sequencer to control Giga. I have Gigastudio32 as well and it works great. As a matter of fact, I have them both running on the same system which works for me but isn't recommended and it does hog resources from Protools.

If you want to try it, install Giga and then run Protools and create a MIDI track. Click the output of the MIDI channel and you should notice a "Nemesys Midi Port". That's the port you will use to send MIDI from PT to Giga.

As for the soundcard, I use Frontier's Wavecenter PCI card for Giga and I love it. As I said, I have both running on the same PC and the two cards (Wavecenter and DIGI) seem to play nice. I connect the SPDIF on the Wavecenter to the SPDIF In on the Digi. If you use SPDIF, assign the out put channel of your GIGA instruments to 9,10 (at least I'm pretty sure 9,10 are SPDIF outs in Giga) and setup an audio track in Protools with SPDIF In.

Again, it's best to setup Giga on another PC but if you've got enough juice in your system it might work.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the help. I will definitely look into doing it, but I think that it may be wise to upgrade my P3 800Mhz to something in the 2Ghz range if you say it is gonna hog up resources. XP hogs enough [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ... I don't know. I heard that a Giga system doesn't have to be all that fast as long as you have a seperate drive that is fast enough for samples. Maybe I'll Frankenstein an older system. Decisions, decisions,decisions.

Anyway, thanks again. Happy creating to you all.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:31 AM

Hi,

I posted a similar question to another thread, please forgive me. Can I use the onboard spdif out on my computer (a shuttle) as the soundcard for gigastudio and run that into the DIGI 001 pci card? Any reason I can't use the onboard soundcard for that? It's supposed to be pretty good.

THanks
Paul