Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-24-2003, 03:30 PM

Default auto-tuning a breathy vocal

Anyone have experience trying to auto-tune a breathy vocal? I'm having a tough time with it. The problem is that when the singer holds out a note, auto-tune detects the note, then doesn't, then does again - the red line (in graphical mode) looks like a dotted line on every note. I guess there's not enough "pitch" in her voice to detect all the time. If I try to tune the note in any way, it only tunes the parts of the note it detected, so I get almost like a vibrato - tuned, then not tuned, then tuned, etc.

I've tried different kinds of voice (soprano, alto, instrument), and different values for retune and tracking. Any ideas?

Thanks.

cakes
Old 06-24-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: auto-tuning a breathy vocal

Tell her to take singing lessons [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just joking,

Maybe you should try out the wave mecanics
Pitch Doctor, a friend of mine claimed it to be both cheaper and better. (I΄m not a sales rep, just a simple musician). Maybe there΄s a demo to help u out.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 PM

I take it you're tried adjusting the "choosy" parameter in the plug-in? I have had issues in the past with whispered vocals or breathy vocals where the plug-in couldn't detect the pitch.. in that case, I've resorted to using Pitch Doctor or an AS pitch shift plug-in. Pitch 'n Time may be a good option.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-24-2003, 06:42 PM

You may have already tried this, but I only use auto tune usually as AudioSuite plug and just fix the very offending notes...leave the rest natural.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:43 PM

How about Melodyne?
I've seen and heard wicked things with this thing,without screwing up the quality...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I might take a look at those other plugs, though for now I'm stuck with Auto-tune. I definitely played with the "choosy" parameter, and sometimes it helps, but not usually, at least on this vocal. And I am *definitely* only tuning certain notes, in Audiosuite. (and yes, I used simple pitch-shift plugs a couple of times)

Actually, probably the best thing that came out of this experience is that when I told the producer how much trouble I was having tuning the singer's vocals, he said he would work harder with her next time to get her to sing in tune. Nice to see, though I don't think he meant "singers in general" - just this one, because her voice is so breathy. In other words, he might work harder to record good vocals with this singer, but only because he can't get away with less.

cakes
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 PM

Here's something to try. (Never tried it)

Try eqing the hell out of it before it hits autotune.

Cut some hi's and boost some mids.

Auto tune might detect that better.

If it does detect it, then make a stereo track with both sides being the same thing.

Then eq the left side (dual mono - right bypassed) the way I described and then set autotune to stereo but tracked by the left side.

Then record just the right sides output to another track.

Might work.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:34 AM

Great idea, Produceher. Cakes - let us know if you try that and whether or not it helps. I'm curious. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:55 PM

Produceher, that is a *great* freakin' idea. I was trying to think of ways to EQ the vocal but tune the un-EQ'd vocal, but I couldn't get my head around it like you did.

Unfortunately (?), the producer I was working with was happy with the tuning job I did the first time around (mostly with pitch-shift), so no more working on that one. Sorry I couldn't provide any insight about your trick, Produceher. But next time this comes up, I'll definitely try it, and I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the help!

cakes
Old 06-26-2003, 06:38 AM

I've had the same problem recently and I simply put a Focusrite before auto tune and boosted the signal by 20db. I certainly improved the ability to draw the pitch in graphic mode. I do believe I prefered the older version of autotune. I've never had to do this before, and I'm working with the same singer. There are only a couple of things I'm now doing differently:
Using Soundelux 251
Recording at 88.2k
I've been in touch with Antares ... I've even sent them a screenshot of the problem, along with the relevent vocal line. Support never even replied!