Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Delayed Compensation for Auto-tuning Few Vocal Spots

Running into a problem here. Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH for your help.. ..Truly..

I use Pro Tools 7.1.2 & am working with a session with 1 or 2 plug-ins that seem to offer delay. I noticed it especially with the tuning plug-in & need to remedy as I am nearing the mix.

We converted an audio bass signal using Ampex SVX (& I see the delay = 4). I assume that may be indiscernible but not sure.

And the main thing - the only other plug-in I am running (besides 7-Band EQ which shows no delay) is for tuning. I just downloaded Autotune Evo (to try to fix only 4-5 quick notes) & have the Melodyne that came with the PT ignition pack (quite limited). And was just trying to fix a few notes & I’m ready then. But when using Autotune, I heard the differences & saw the delay = 1380. I am brand new to Autotune & Melodyne yet read instructions for both & watched videos to learn quickly to use for now. So I don’t seem to have “time adjuster”, & if it is only on 1 or 2 tracks anyhow, how would you suggest I remedy this offset best & easiest for me?!

I assume perhaps nudging, but you have no idea how much I have had to learn in the past few weeks for every single new program I had to use, & I wanted to ask the experts here as I really need the help! I figured: bus the Autotuned comp parts to another track & correct it there (perhaps by nudging). I am hoping that given that the delay = 1380 that you may be able to tell me EXACTLY how much to back up that new audio region (to put it where it should be). I love my vocal comp otherwise & ONLY want to tweak the 4-5 notes in their spaces in the song, so what would you suggest?

I like to have it all lined up & just swap in a different word/syllable only where I need it.

And with Melodyne, I am not sure IF it yields a delayed signal or not actually. My friend had used a newer/recent Melodyne essential version & as I said I have the very LE version here, & I don’t know if either (or both) yield delay.

Again, thank you very much for you insight & guidance on this as I clearly need it!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Delayed Compensation for Auto-tuning Few Vocal Spots

You've got it right, just nudge the track forward to equal the reported latency.

Then go here:
http://archive.digidesign.com/support/forms/feature/

and ask for ADC... Automatic Delay Compensation.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-30-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
You've got it right, just nudge thhe track forward to equal the reported latency.

Then go here:

I'm curious though. How many applicants have applied?

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danos1 View Post
Running into a problem here. Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH for your help.. ..Truly..

I use Pro Tools 7.1.2 & am working with a session with 1 or 2 plug-ins that seem to offer delay. I noticed it especially with the tuning plug-in & need to remedy as I am nearing the mix.

We converted an audio bass signal using Ampex SVX (& I see the delay = 4). I assume that may be indiscernible but not sure.

And the main thing - the only other plug-in I am running (besides 7-Band EQ which shows no delay) is for tuning. I just downloaded Autotune Evo (to try to fix only 4-5 quick notes) & have the Melodyne that came with the PT ignition pack (quite limited). And was just trying to fix a few notes & I’m ready then. But when using Autotune, I heard the differences & saw the delay = 1380. I am brand new to Autotune & Melodyne yet read instructions for both & watched videos to learn quickly to use for now. So I don’t seem to have “time adjuster”, & if it is only on 1 or 2 tracks anyhow, how would you suggest I remedy this offset best & easiest for me?!

I assume perhaps nudging, but you have no idea how much I have had to learn in the past few weeks for every single new program I had to use, & I wanted to ask the experts here as I really need the help! I figured: bus the Autotuned comp parts to another track & correct it there (perhaps by nudging). I am hoping that given that the delay = 1380 that you may be able to tell me EXACTLY how much to back up that new audio region (to put it where it should be). I love my vocal comp otherwise & ONLY want to tweak the 4-5 notes in their spaces in the song, so what would you suggest?

I like to have it all lined up & just swap in a different word/syllable only where I need it.

And with Melodyne, I am not sure IF it yields a delayed signal or not actually. My friend had used a newer/recent Melodyne essential version & as I said I have the very LE version here, & I don’t know if either (or both) yield delay.

Again, thank you very much for you insight & guidance on this as I clearly need it!
If you are only fixing a few notes, then you could also select the area you need to fix (It doesn't need to be exact just as long as it's all the area) and use auto tune as an audiosuite plugin. This will free up any of the latency. Just duplicate the track first so you will not be committed to the change.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
If you are only fixing a few notes, then you could also select the area you need to fix (It doesn't need to be exact just as long as it's all the area) and use auto tune as an audiosuite plugin. This will free up any of the latency. Just duplicate the track first so you will not be committed to the change.
in a short abreviated form, hilight the area, seperate it, set up and get the tuning how i want it in graphic mode, copy the settings, then launch the audiosuite, copy the settings and process the section. as stated before, i create a new playlist and copy the entire vox track to it before i start tuning.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
in a short abreviated form, hilight the area, seperate it, set up and get the tuning how i want it in graphic mode, copy the settings, then launch the audiosuite, copy the settings and process the section. as stated before, i create a new playlist and copy the entire vox track to it before i start tuning.
You can also do all your graphic changes in audiosuite. Preview plays the notes you tune. So you wouldn't necessarily need to do it in realtime then copy the results. I like doing audiosuite because it's only the dry track. It is without the inserts.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
You've got it right, just nudge thhe track forward to equal the reported latency.

Then go here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
Quite a few I would guess!!

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM

FWIW I always duplicate the original comp and then start using AT and buss it out to another track. I do this for the complete vocal, even it I don't tune every word, for continuity it makes sense for me. If someone says that the quality of AT isn't good enough to stick the whole vocal through, then why use it at all? My $.02

Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
Since this has been ongoing for over 10 years now and it's the top feature request for PT LE, it's definitely a very large number.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM

This has been requested more times than all of the Hobos and all of the trains put together.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com