Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Default Old Mix Core and Mix Farm Cards

Unfortunatly I sold my Mix Core and Mix Farm Cards. I have been checking E-Bay to buy new ones. I got both the Mix Core and Mix Farm from some dude in S. California. After loading - the system would not detect the Mix Farm nor the interface hooked into it. I finally called Digidesign - and one of their tech's informed me the Mix Farm was too old and would need refurbishing. My question - is there any way to detect the age of the cards - ie. Rev #?? - and what is exactly too old?? I would like to upgrade to HD system - but I don't have the bucks to lay out for a new system and new interface.
Jerry [email protected]
Old 02-16-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Old Mix Core and Mix Farm Cards

I'm in the same situation.. I bought an older G5 with PPC processor and PCI-X and I begin to think that maybe the problem isn't in the G5 side but in the Mix Farm. My Mix Core and the first Mix Farm are named "POWER CARD" on the motherboard instead of the third mix farm that is named MIX FARM (on the motherboard). The Core & Farm are "revision D", the third Farm is "revision G". Someone can help us?!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 AM

You can not run MiX system on G5. G4s was the last machines with compatible PCI slots.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Unfortunatly I sold my Mix Core and Mix Farm Cards. I have been checking E-Bay to buy new ones. I got both the Mix Core and Mix Farm from some dude in S. California. After loading - the system would not detect the Mix Farm nor the interface hooked into it. I finally called Digidesign - and one of their tech's informed me the Mix Farm was too old and would need refurbishing. My question - is there any way to detect the age of the cards - ie. Rev #?? - and what is exactly too old?? I would like to upgrade to HD system - but I don't have the bucks to lay out for a new system and new interface.
Jerry [email protected]
You have got an DSP & not Mix farm. It is not so powerfull as MIX farm & should have costed much less.
PS.
They work in older PPC Macs like 9600..

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You can not run MiX system on G5. G4s was the last machines with compatible PCI slots.
It seems like everyone speaks using Digidesign words... nobody uses his brain to do a search and find that PPC G5 (the series produced in 2004 named "G5" and "G5 - June 2004") has PCI-X that is fully working with 3,3 Volts cards like Mix Farm & Mix Core. The old D24 and DSP Farm, instead, are the only ones not working because they're 5,0 Volts and PCI-X does not accept 5,0 Volts. I repeat, there's a cat that I know that is using a G5 DP 2,5 Ghz with 10.3.5 and PT 6.4.1cs4 on a Mix Cube system without any problem. Me too, I've mounted my Mix Cube system on a G5 DP 2,0 Ghz, everything is recognized by the system, the cards are working, PT start up but won't play (the problem is due maybe to the graphics card that is a Radeon X800 with 256 mb ram or maybe because my Mix Core is really too old).
For the one not believing and also for the ones speaking only in Digidesign language here are some links. PLEASE READ WHAT'S WRITTEN.

Digidesign about PCI-X and Mix Core & Farm

Apple about PCI-X specifics

Digidesign wrote:
"all Power Mac G5s support 3.3 V PCI cards only. MIX Core, MIX Farm, and all Pro Tools|HD cards are 3.3 volt-powered PCI cards which comply with the G5 PCI specifications".

Have you ever understand or do I have to draw something?!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It seems like everyone speaks using Digidesign words... nobody uses his brain to do a search and find that PPC G5 (the series produced in 2004 named "G5" and "G5 - June 2004") has PCI-X that is fully working with 3,3 Volts cards like Mix Farm & Mix Core. The old D24 and DSP Farm, instead, are the only ones not working because they're 5,0 Volts and PCI-X does not accept 5,0 Volts. I repeat, there's a cat that I know that is using a G5 DP 2,5 Ghz with 10.3.5 and PT 6.4.1cs4 on a Mix Cube system without any problem. Me too, I've mounted my Mix Cube system on a G5 DP 2,0 Ghz, everything is recognized by the system, the cards are working, PT start up but won't play (the problem is due maybe to the graphics card that is a Radeon X800 with 256 mb ram or maybe because my Mix Core is really too old).
For the one not believing and also for the ones speaking only in Digidesign language here are some links. PLEASE READ WHAT'S WRITTEN.

Digidesign about PCI-X and Mix Core & Farm

Apple about PCI-X specifics

Digidesign wrote:
"all Power Mac G5s support 3.3 V PCI cards only. MIX Core, MIX Farm, and all Pro Tools|HD cards are 3.3 volt-powered PCI cards which comply with the G5 PCI specifications".

Have you ever understand or do I have to draw something?!
It's always someone who knows someone that has mix system on G5. You said it yourself, it does not work in your machine. What good if it gets recognized but wont play?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
It's always someone who knows someone that has mix system on G5. You said it yourself, it does not work in your machine. What good if it gets recognized but wont play?
My man, I SEE PT workin' on his G5 DP 2,5 Ghz (liquid cooled version) with Mix Cube so don't tell me "it's always someone who knows someone"... my only question was about the different graphics card (I've got a RADEON X800 XT 256 Mb, he got a ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128 MB) and about the revision of the Mix Core. Maybe these are the cause of problemss. I have a "revision D", but I don't see the revision of his mix core.
That's all.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
My man, I SEE PT workin' on his G5 DP 2,5 Ghz (liquid cooled version) with Mix Cube so don't tell me "it's always someone who knows someone"... my only question was about the different graphics card (I've got a RADEON X800 XT 256 Mb, he got a ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128 MB) and about the revision of the Mix Core. Maybe these are the cause of problemss. I have a "revision D", but I don't see the revision of his mix core.
That's all.
Ok, very interesting! But then you should be able to swap the cards with him and it should be clear if the problem is with the video card or not.