Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Signal pushing speakers too hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytime555 View Post
Awesome Darryl -- thank you.

Could I possibly just have you give it a quick listen? Maybe it is indeed just my car speakers but I've never really noticed this happening with other music I listen to (in the car).

The ending (where the distorted guitars come in) is where it starts pumping.. I'm also attaching a screenshot of my mix.

No pressure... I really appreciate your time.

SONG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsnc0s5fnp...rdust.mp3?dl=0
MIX SCREEN: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53734vpmgi1a8rm/mix.jpg?dl=0

T
I am not where I can listen to this with proper monitors or headphones now. What I'd do if questioning bass issues is listen to this on a pair of sealed in-ear monitors (I have several different Etymotic ones which I really like). If you don't have a well treated room or even if you do then a set of good sealed in-ear monitors that are capable of good low frequency performance may help. It's not the same as hearing stuff in a room, but its a useful diagnostic tool.

A quick listen, and likely useless test, on my laptop speakers and I can't tell if what you may be hearing is in the guitar signal already or not.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytime555 View Post
So my options are below... I suppose I should get the un-processed tracks but I don't know the first thing about "optimizing" raw drum tracks, so I'm not sure it's even worth the extra $50.... I wonder if I'd have luck getting the individual "processed" tracks?

I guess it's time to breakout some books. :|

Purchase Options:
- Stereo Mix + Unprocessed Source Tracks ($45)
- Stereo Mix + Processed Source Tracks ($99)
- Stereo Mix + Processed and Unprocessed tracks ($99)

T
It is your money, but if he was going to give you a session with plugins etc. on them then get all. But if its just processed tracks like I expect I would just get the raw tracks and play around with them. You will likely learn by playing, but while I would do that it does not mean it will necessarily help fix what *you* are hearing/perceive as the problem (that gets a lot into your artistic goals/judgement).

I remain cautious about any one particular car audio test. Try other cars, portable players, etc. whatever is important to you. And try comparing to similar reference tracks with similar bass frequencies on them.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM

Absolutely... I'll do some more tests later today and report back...

Thanks a million for your time!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Per each kick it basically pushes all the other sound back for a second, like a throbbing.
Dance music mixers have been striving to do this on every mix for the last 12 years. I initially thought this guy was joking...

Did a remix fix it?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Dance music mixers have been striving to do this on every mix for the last 12 years. I initially thought this guy was joking...

Did a remix fix it?
Haha! Yeah, I've decided to focus strictly on Dance music from here on out. Clients are flocking!

Na -- I never actually go around to solving the issue but the same mix sounds totally fine on several other systems I've checked... I'll be troubleshooting this more next week when things slow down a little. :)

T