Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM

Default So my daughter wants to be a video editor

Apparently my daughter is going over to the dark side.

After I got home tonight, she stunned me with the shocking and disturbing news that she wants to be a video editor. Then she asked me if I would buy her a video camera and some editing software.

She's 10. She's been making videos with her My Little Ponies and Barbies and other toys for about a year now, using just the webcam on her bargain basement laptop that her grandmother bought her from Wal-Mart. So I guess she's going to need a better computer now too.

So, what kind of camera should I get her? And what kind of editing software is good for a 10 year old kid to learn?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-30-2015, 03:12 AM

Default Re: So my daughter wants to be a video editor

I want to say a Super 8 and a Flatbed but I don't think that will fly

a used DLSR style camera is probably the best option or a used DVCAM if you can get way with standard def

iMovie for Mac or Vegas for ether or get her Media Composer

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-30-2015, 04:54 AM

I'm just an amateur, but I'm happy with my Canon 550D. I believe it's called Rebel T2i in the US.

I bought a Canon 50mm fixed lense f1,4, and didn't think of the 1,6x crop factor that the camera has. So, the object gets pulled closer to the lense, which can be a problem in small quarters. I think there's a 11-12 min continuous recording limit (SD card limitation?) when using the highest quality.

I like Final Cut Pro X from Apple, but I just dabble in video for fun.

Lucky daughter...
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 AM

You'll probably get a lot of good answers, but I spent 3 years in the photo/video hobby so I'll toss my input.

Honestly, a Panasonic GH3 and a decent lens would suit her nicely.

It's cost effective, the m4/3's glass is great, and there is no record limit.

You also get the advantage of a high bit rate option and video features built into the body.

She will likely appreciate the mic input and headphone out.

After that, invest some money in a Sound Devices mix pre D and Rode NTG-2 or 3 shotgun mic.

Remember a good tripod is needed.

Also, lighting is to video as room acoustics are to audio. So you might look into some lighting.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm a picture editor who dabbles in sound post, mostly for my own projects. I'd recommend any decent sub-thousand dollar camcorder (they all make incredible pictures, way beyond what she'd used to and...well, she's 10).

For editing I'd highly recommend HitFilm3. I've been playing with it and it has a tremendous range of features for a $299 program. More than enough to keep her busy until she either decides she wants to be something else, or she grows into needing Media Composer. And like Media Composer, it's also cross-platform.

http://hitfilm.com/

Chris Conlee
Editor
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
You'll probably get a lot of good answers, but I spent 3 years in the photo/video hobby so I'll toss my input.

Honestly, a Panasonic GH3 and a decent lens would suit her nicely.

It's cost effective, the m4/3's glass is great, and there is no record limit.

You also get the advantage of a high bit rate option and video features built into the body.

She will likely appreciate the mic input and headphone out.

After that, invest some money in a Sound Devices mix pre D and Rode NTG-2 or 3 shotgun mic.

Remember a good tripod is needed.

Also, lighting is to video as room acoustics are to audio. So you might look into some lighting.
As to tripods - one that's good for stills isn't necessarily good for video. You want something that will pan smoothly and a fluid pan head will help there. An alternative if you go dslr is a shoulder-supported rig if she wants to go mobile.

If you go the dslr route be aware that there are artifacts that can be seen if you compare the same scene shot in a purpose-built video camera. Supposedly has something to do with how the shutter works in a dslr versus a video camera. However that doesn't stop some productions from using them; the crew that filmed Tony Bourdain's last couple of series used a Canon dslr for their 'b roll' stuff. And make no mistake - dslr's are HEAVY. See tripod above.

I'd actually take a look at the Zoom Q series video cameras. Not terribly expensive especially when compared to a dslr. Then there's the so-called point and shoot still cameras that also do video (HD and non-HD) like the Canon Powershot. Highly recommended; my wife has a couple and does some really good video. The only shortcoming is the onboard mic; outboard is the way to go with these cameras.

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Apparently my daughter is going over to the dark side.

After I got home tonight, she stunned me with the shocking and disturbing news that she wants to be a video editor. Then she asked me if I would buy her a video camera and some editing software.

She's 10. She's been making videos with her My Little Ponies and Barbies and other toys for about a year now, using just the webcam on her bargain basement laptop that her grandmother bought her from Wal-Mart. So I guess she's going to need a better computer now too.

So, what kind of camera should I get her? And what kind of editing software is good for a 10 year old kid to learn?
That's awesome dude, video editing is fun.

As far as a camera, unless money is no object, pretty much anything that will shoot in 1080p will be fine for now. Even a cell phone will work these days, hell, I have a phone that shoots 4K! Lol

If you want to step it up, a DSLR as others have mentioned, and if money is no object, anything from RED. But a simple point and shoot Canon or similar will be fine and let her get use to framing scenes with a camera small enough for her to handle without draining dad's wallet

Software.... anything really. You can do basic edits with the free Windows Movie Maker. HitFilm3 has been mentioned and that's some really cool software for the price, it's almost a combo of AfterEffects and an NLE.

Vegas is good, maybe consider Premiere Pro which is also really good. BUT since she's 10, you may want to go with something like Premiere Essentials. In fact you can get a combo of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements for about $100 (cheaper on eBay). Photoshop will come in handy for her if she whats to create graphics.

I am partial to Media Composer, but it is expensive and she should use something that is not so daunting at first IMHO. But still, check out the free trial

There was a free version of HitFilm 2 Express awhile back, but it's since been pulled. There was a sale on it at VideoGuys for 1 penny and I bought a bunch of licenses, if you want one just PM me and I'll set you up

And you'll need a tripod or two. And even a green screen. I have a review of an inexpensive green screen setup on my YouTube somewhere.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM

This is going to sound like a crazy suggestion but check out Screenflow as a video editor.

It's meant for making video tutorials but it's also a simple video editor with a good set of effects to play with. And it's super easy for kids.

All of the options I looked at were alot more complicated.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We actually have an older Cannon MiniDV handycam. But the MiniDV tapes are a PITA to deal with and getting them into the computer to deal with seems overly complicated since you have to copy them onto the computer hard drive in real time. I was thinking something with an SD card would be easier to deal with, especially since SD card are pretty ubiquitous even on low end laptops.

What's the least expensive camera that has XLR inputs for audio? Looking around it seems low end professional cameras in the $1500+ range. I think I'm looking to spend less than $300 at this point. I mean, she's 10 after all.

Benoni, I might take you up on that offer for the HitFilm license. I'll have to look into it more. I'll shoot you a PM.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM

could live capture from cam to software skipping recording to tape (at least for indoors)
a cam with a XLR ups the price (Sony DP150/170s had them, I think)

are you going to teach her Pro Tools for Post Sound?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig