Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Default Mac Pro w/Chassis or Windows platform

I'll be posting this same question on both the Windows and Mac HD forums.

I haven't done all my homework yet, but I've decided I need to move off of my G5 in the next few months or so to be able to keep updated with PT, and there are lots of other programs I like that will run on Intel Mac or Windows, but not PPC Mac anymore .

So the question is do I spend a bunch of money to go Intel Mac and Magna chassis to continue to use my HD3 PCI cards, or do I consider moving over to Windows, where I'm guessing I can build/buy a computer with up to date processors but still have PCI slots.

Any thoughts on this? I'm guessing I can save a couple thousand bucks.

Media Man

G5 Leopard 10.5.8
PT 8.0
HD 3
Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro w/Chassis or Windows platform

I am in exactly the same situation and have the same system as Media Man. I would really like some thoughts and advice on this as well. Many thanks in advance.

Hackintosh Quadcore i7 3.4GHZ; OS X 10.8.4; HD4 PT version 10.3.8
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM

me three...

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
me three...
Well I use windows and Mac versions of pro tools all the time and like the windows 7 64bit experience better. Pt runs faster on windows 7 then 10.6. If you are working with video, best solution is to video satellite an le rig. Btw I run and hd 4 accel pci.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Well I use windows and Mac versions of pro tools all the time and like the windows 7 64bit experience better. Pt runs faster on windows 7 then 10.6. If you are working with video, best solution is to video satellite an le rig. Btw I run and hd 4 accel pci.
What is your motherboard for HD4 on PC?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
What is your motherboard for HD4 on PC?
Asus p6t WS pro and a Magma p7r464 64bit expansion chassis. I could go HD 7 with this thing. Very fast and stable on 8.1cs1.
Best
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Media Man & others -

I was in your same position. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased LAST YEAR's model 8 core (Nehalem) and the supported Magma chassis. It's working great. The new Mac Pro's are hand down, far and away the best computer I've ever had - and I've had dozens since my commodare 64......

Once Avid releases their new surprises, PCIx accel cards will be dirt cheap and you can have the power of an HD6 for very low cost, along with a kick-azz state of the art computer.

I stayed away from the Westmere due to the fact that I don't enjoy being on the cutting edge. Glad I did. Results seem mixed at best.

Good luck. I'd advise going for the Magma!!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM

No doubt last year's 8 core Intel Mac is an excellent computer, but combined with a Magma chassis, we're still talking at least $4K and probably more.

Anyone else with cross grade experience from Mac to PC taking their PCIx cards along?

Media Man

G5 Leopard 10.5.8
PT 8, HD 3
Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM

We've got 4 Mac systems that have been running for 6+ years. January 2009 we took delivery of an HDTV Remote Truck housing an SSL C200 console feeding 128-I/O of ProTools. The easiest way for this to happen was to build it around an HP 8600 workstation, ONLY because I cold put 4 Digi cards in the HP and 4-1TB drives for audio, all without using an external chassis.

It's been running OK, but to be honest, if I had to do it all over again I would've stayed on a Mac Pro and only built an HD3 system with 96-I/Os. Why? All of the stuff that has nothing to do with ProTools, like CD burning software (Toast, JAM, etc.), BarbaBatch for transcoding, everytime you plug something into the USB hub Windows has to stop and look for new drivers, etc., etc., etc.! All of the extras that you will have to do without because they're not available in the same way for Windows.

ProTools will run fine, but you STILL have to deal with Windows, and after almost two years of dealing with it, I'm ready to switch back.

Make up your own mind.... and good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
No doubt last year's 8 core Intel Mac is an excellent computer, but combined with a Magma chassis, we're still talking at least $4K and probably more.
More. Way more if you're going to max it out with RAM and additional drives. The Nehalem's are costing just as much as the new Westmeres (the 8 core Westmere's I mean...)