Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-27-2002, 05:28 AM

Default A little off topic...SURGE PROTECTOR

Hey, do these still protect your equipment even after they are turned off?
Old 01-27-2002, 06:31 AM

Default Re: A little off topic...SURGE PROTECTOR

It should do, it is an electro-mechanical device i think. I have surge protection installed in my switchboard, much safer.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:13 AM

For peace of mind I would go for a UPS, they will look after you investment. They are the first thing on my list as the power is always doggey and audio gear is sensitive to say the least, good luck.

Ajazzie
Old 01-27-2002, 04:16 PM

a surge-protector is like a throw-away item...
They offer themselves if there is a big powerspike, but i have one connected afetr my pc was damaged by a lighting-strik in my house. Also protect your modem-line and network-cable since they are all receptable to lightning....

Bastiaan
Old 01-27-2002, 05:43 PM

UPS all the way. I used to do some PC bank software related stuff for work and more than once corrupt databases were contributed to uneven power fluctuations. After rebuilding databases numerous times, the final fix always seemed to be a UPS. THey claim most data errors on harddrives are caused by unconditioned power. I have seen this many times.

GET A UPS [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 06:46 PM

No varister circuits, my good dawg and dawgettes.

They (common powerstrips) ground the voltage surge to earth- which puts the high voltage directly into the clock of the CPU.

Possibly damaging CPUs downstream.

I'd look for a good APC unit. Really expensive 'online' UPSes are completely isolated from the main. I.E. the battery runs an inverter...AC recharges the battery...etc.

Especially good if in a tall city building with RF problem.

High-end networking gear typically runs off these online UPSes.

Offline units are the more common ones. Must have non-varister surge circuitry 'though.

.02 fleas
Old 01-27-2002, 07:52 PM

ROOM 12
since i was the second person to reply to you i should probably add to this topic that I also have an APC UPS running my G4 and also some other sensetive gear. Along with the surge protection on my switchboard and an extra heavey guage earth cable running from my studio subboard back to the main PE stake. All of this to filter, regulate voltage, back up power in blackouts, protect againts surges (except a lightning bolt hitting my house) and to drain any RFI and stray induced voltage through the earth cable.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Talking about Power surger?
If it's not, forgive me.
Anyway, i spent little money to get it and always asking myself " Did I do right thing?"
There was heavy rain in the city where I live last month(near Hollywood) and power of entier city had gone about two hours and half all the sudden. Completely Dark!!!!!!

I was burning CD with my mac when it happened. And WOW only my mac's system are running great and I could finished burning CD and turned Mac off after that.

My mac was beautiful in the candle light.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:34 PM

jjmush, we just went through a similar experience about an hour ago. Was backing up a session from earlier when a drunk takes out a pole about a block away. the APC UPS kept everything running fine. We were able to complete the back-up and shut down before it ran out of juice.

Now if we're talking those $75 or so dollar rack mount ac outlet in the back lights in the front conditioners, let me clue y'all in on a little secret. They have nothing more than some cheap caps across the supply for filtering and a breaker, both totally useless. I have personally seen more than my share of these units go up in smoke when the caps get old and dry out. If you have one of these devices, my recommendation is remove the caps and use it for a convienent light and power distro, then go get yourself the best APC UPS you can afford. One outage during a session and you'll recup your money.

saggsy, you definitely got the right idea with the separage ground. have you confirmed that the service ground is earth common? Could mean the difference if you are hit by lightning. We had our service ground run to a ground stake driven 6 feet into the good old earth here, and all our chassis are star grounded to it. We run totally silent, and feel confident we could withstand even a direct hit.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:25 AM

Living in Los Angeles..Terrible drainage system(easily cause water flood),earthquake.....
Power surger is a must in LA.