Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Overseas Production Sound

Hello folks,

I'm gonna be doing location sound recording in the Far East next week, I'll be recording production dialog, sound efx and ambience (if needed) and perhaps some voice over at one of their local studios.

I'm in charge of renting all the equipment. Considering they'll have everything I'd want, what brands of microphones and recorders should I look for in dialog and ambience recording? DAT or hard disk? Should I rent different microphones for ambience recording (markets, restaurants, alleys, air, birds) Should I go all out and rent 5 mics for multi-channel?

I'd like to build a library of sfx while I am there for the week. Have any of you recorded in a faraway land hah I'd be more than glad to share any sfx I gather with some of you who are looking for foreign sounds! :P

Best,
Steve Schatz
http://tha.trishock.com
www.acidheadz.com
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Overseas Production Sound

how far east?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I've done many shows over seas, Good luck! Sounds fun.
First of all you need good frequency agile wireless. The new waterproof 411a's from lectrasonic are the right thing for you. Now how many you need is dependant on the quantity of actors you will have. Don't believe them if they say that only two will talk at any time, but you have 6 actors there. If its more than three actores and you don't have a good boom man, you are in way over your head. The mic on the stick should be sanken cs-3 or a sennheiser 416 or mkh 60 if it's a wet environment. Stay away from schoeps in humidity. For ambiences, I love the sanken ms stereo mic. But american post guys don't do ms too often. It'll take a little education. But well worth it. A fostex pd-4 timecode dat will probably be your best bet as the hard disk machines are still in their infancy ( except for the deva, but as a run and gun machine I would have the dat) Don't get a hhb dat player. I'm just scratching the surface. A time code show? Film, video? Call me @ 805-906-7456 for other questions.
adam
Old 09-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Actually, I have to cancel the trip. Passport reasons. The job is in Thailand, about 7-10 working days, leaving early Monday morning. Very friendly crew. Everything is paid for. Free airfare, lodging, food. The job pays about 100 a day. If any of you want the job, give me a call, 310-699-6393. I will tell you who to call. Please respond by 12pm today if possible thanks!!