Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Lagging performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
All Macbook i7 works with the graphic card inside as tbose aren't affected by the integrated graphic issues, had he used a Laptop then maybe but no worries on a MBP i7 16GB RAM what so ever.

The 2.8 GHz is a BEAST and we have used one of those for HUGE sessions so that would not be applied here
You have used a newer MBPr with 2.8 GHz for huge sessions? If so, are you using the same specs and versions that I have as well? Mine is the newest 2014 model. I have automatic graphics switching unchecked too. I take it that's the way to go?

I noticed something a little strange too. This session I'm working on involve drum editing; Lots of edits and fades. Would that have something to do with it? When I close the edit window, mix window is smooth as silk, otherwise not.

Although, I recently worked on a very small session; 6 stereo files (maybe?) with a modest amount of plugins, and the faders were sticky in some sections, and then would appear to be fine in other sections. Strange behavior.

Also opened another session with JUST the audio files on the session; no plugs, and the mix window seemed relatively smooth with the edit window open.. Maybe slightly smoother when closed?

Anyway, I'm ranting and posting my findings.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate it!

Mike.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Hey

On both our MBP's retina models we have had graphics issues when the sessions have heavy automation on them. Screweee fader graphics and a few CPU errors but only when there has been lots of automation executions so maybe a Retina bug. Who knows

We have to live with our issues here and use the larger studio with Trash Can when we have to make the sessions work with lots of automations.

Although I seriously doubt it is a MacBook problem as those computers are monsters and we run from 90-130 tracks easy on most our songs and not a peep from either Macbook Pros. One has 8GB RAM and the other 16GB, both can handle ~ 100 + tracks with ease and more than 85 plugins.

BUT ... We can NOT have more than maximum 10-12 VI on those large sessions and plugin count and when we add more than 10-12 VI both Macbooks starts acting up a bit throwing up CPU errors and they become snarky and annoyed.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Hey

On both our MBP's retina models we have had graphics issues when the sessions have heavy automation on them. Screweee fader graphics and a few CPU errors but only when there has been lots of automation executions so maybe a Retina bug. Who knows

We have to live with our issues here and use the larger studio with Trash Can when we have to make the sessions work with lots of automations.

Although I seriously doubt it is a MacBook problem as those computers are monsters and we run from 90-130 tracks easy on most our songs and not a peep from either Macbook Pros. One has 8GB RAM and the other 16GB, both can handle ~ 100 + tracks with ease and more than 85 plugins.

BUT ... We can NOT have more than maximum 10-12 VI on those large sessions and plugin count and when we add more than 10-12 VI both Macbooks starts acting up a bit throwing up CPU errors and they become snarky and annoyed.

FML this sucks! Not about your experiences I mean; That's awesome that your computers are kicking butt

I just bought a new MBPr; naturally past return period.

What are the specs on your macbook pro's? You can run 100+ tracks with 85 plugins and automation without a hiccup?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
FML this sucks! Not about your experiences I mean; That's awesome that your computers are kicking butt

I just bought a new MBPr; naturally past return period.

What are the specs on your macbook pro's? You can run 100+ tracks with 85 plugins and automation without a hiccup?
Hey

One is a Late 2013 i7 4960HQ 2.6 GHz 16 GB ram and 512 GB SSD aswell as a USB3 external Samsung SSD 850 Pro for recording.
OSX 10.9.5 Pro Tools HD11 / 11.3

Second is a i7 2.6 GHz ID 11.2 with 8GB RAM and 512 GB SSD and has a USB3 external Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB. OSX 10.8.5 and PTHD11 11.3

We produce Pop/Rap/RnB/EDM and Pop-Rock and use lots of virtual instruments and plugins aswell as 60-70% outboard gear.

A normal session is 80-100 tracks, both Audio and Instrument tracks with pretty much 80-90 plugins and atleast 10-15 AUX tracks on each song.

I never bother looking at CPU usage etc as it doesn't make any difference. When the computer is maxed out we know as it starts to get weird. Also all sessions we run are 48 as thats enough for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hey

One is a Late 2013 i7 4960HQ 2.6 GHz 16 GB ram and 512 GB SSD aswell as a USB3 external Samsung SSD 850 Pro for recording.
OSX 10.9.5 Pro Tools HD11 / 11.3

Second is a i7 2.6 GHz ID 11.2 with 8GB RAM and 512 GB SSD and has a USB3 external Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB. OSX 10.8.5 and PTHD11 11.3

We produce Pop/Rap/RnB/EDM and Pop-Rock and use lots of virtual instruments and plugins aswell as 60-70% outboard gear.

A normal session is 80-100 tracks, both Audio and Instrument tracks with pretty much 80-90 plugins and atleast 10-15 AUX tracks on each song.

I never bother looking at CPU usage etc as it doesn't make any difference. When the computer is maxed out we know as it starts to get weird. Also all sessions we run are 48 as thats enough for us.
Wow, that's so awesome. I seriously don't know what to do about my computer now. Bummer. Is it computer? DAW? Both? Hate this crap.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:38 PM

What is your exact setup like are you using one drive?
How are you using your screen, do you have an external monitor or are you using the MBP monitor only?

How is your PT setup with Cache, Buffer size, what sample rate are you recording with? Resolution of the monitor? Is this on Yosemite or Mavericks? What version? What PT11 version?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What is your exact setup like are you using one drive?
How are you using your screen, do you have an external monitor or are you using the MBP monitor only?

How is your PT setup with Cache, Buffer size, what sample rate are you recording with? Resolution of the monitor? Is this on Yosemite or Mavericks? What version? What PT11 version?
Right now, I am using my MBPr screen for everything, but, eventually will be hooking up an external monitor.

My PT setup is using the internal sound card with 2GB RAM cache.
The buffer size is 512, and the sessions that I'm editing (no recording) are 44.1k and 48k at 24 bits.
The MBPr monitor is setup for scaled 1680 x 1050 (the next size down from the stock retina resolution, as PT on this computer screen won't show the whole window and let me scroll all the way through when need be.)
This is on Mavericks 10.9.5 (the lowest this computer can actually go to).
It's PT versions 11.3

Something else I found strange.. In the same session, the faders are unresponsive, unless I close the edit window, which I already have stated, OR (here's the kicker) wait for the cursor of PT to go beyond the visible region in the edit window so there is no scrolling being viewed.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Still hoping you find the solution...is it possible that your laptop actually has a Fusion drive? Regarding reports of great performance on these laptops, that has also been my experience, the few times I have worked with one, and I recommend them for anyone wanting a laptop, over any other option.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Ok, just made another discovery. I haven't tested it for too long, but, initially, I think it was due to screen resolution on the MBPr.

I used the next size down to fit more on my screen because if you use the stock (Best for Retina) setting, the edit window in pro tools won't show the extended transport. You have to pick and choose what you want to actually see, or it gets cut off. I chose the next size down as it allowed PT to look like it has on my experiences with every other computer I've been on, however, THAT seems to be the culprit in terms of lagging faders for me right now.

BUT, it's still very strange that even with those resolution settings that if the edit window gets closed, or the cursor goes beyond the visible regions in the edit window, that everything is fine.

Anybody else experience this, or have a similar setup to mine as far as specs and software versions that can try a test and confirm this?

Either way, it's still a bummer I can't use the resolution I want on this MBPr monitor to see what I want to see. Would that be on Mac? Would that be on PT? The search for truth continues!!!.......
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Still hoping you find the solution...is it possible that your laptop actually has a Fusion drive? Regarding reports of great performance on these laptops, that has also been my experience, the few times I have worked with one, and I recommend them for anyone wanting a laptop, over any other option.
Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure this does not have a fusion drive. What are the specs on the MBPr's that you have had experiences on? OS versions, PT versions, etc.?