Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Monitor Switch No Level control suggestions

Im looking to put a speaker selector with no level control, after my RME Babyface. One pair of monitors is xlr and another is trs. I have adapters (xlr female to mono) for my trs speakers.

Im looking to go in to a switch from the interface and out to 2 pair of speakers. So far the Goldpoint SW2X-O seems to be what i need, however it seems to come with the SW2X-I as well which i dont need. The pair puts it at $382 which is high for only needing half of it. Another one is the Pro Co Switch Witch which is ideal incase i decede to add a 3rd or 4th pair of speakers,however ita wide and made to be rack mounted.

Im really looking for something like theKramer VS4X 4X1 except the opposite configuration... in other words instead of 4 ins and 1 out....4 outs and 1in.

Can someone recommend what im looking for? I cant seem to find anything after numerous searching
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Monitor Switch No Level control suggestions

ozzlvlosis. Hi. I solved the same problem with my Mackie mixer. If you have an analog mixer with output busses you can assign stereo channel pairs,(L/R panned) to two or more stereo busses and just bring up the volume on each assigned buss pair. A mixer with 4 buss groups will do what you want. However, if you don't own a mixer a speaker selector is your best option. I hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM

I think what i'll wind up doimg is going with the Goldpoint Sw2x-O and if i nees a third set of crappy speakers to see how the mix translates i'll just go out the headphone jack om my interface
Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM

If rack mounting is an option, why not just use a patch bay?
You could leave the output of your audio interface half normaled to your main set of speakers, then just patch over to the pair you want to listen on. This would leave you lots of expansion room too.

System Details
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Yea i would use the pro co switch witch if i was rack mounting but im just looking for something like the Goldpoint...small and compact for my desk