Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 PM

Default RECORDING SECTION BY SECTION

hey,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with something really simple I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm recording bass for a song that's six minutes long and I've decided that it would be best to record each section of the song independently. I have the song broken down into bars and beats with tempo changes so my guess is that there is some way that I can set the track to record enable for so many bars but I'm not sure. I guess in other words, how would I go about recording just the intro and then just the verse and so on?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Default Re: RECORDING SECTION BY SECTION

Put your cursor at the beginning of each section, start recording, stop at the end of the section. If you did it well, do the same steps for the next section (on "bass track 2" or on the same track [starting before the punch] or something like that). Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

-Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 04-26-2008, 04:13 AM

If you mean you want to record for just a set length of time, you can just make a selection in the timeline (anywhere will do), and hit record. Pro Tools will record on those tracks that are enabled, beginning and ending with the selection (transport will stop when it reaches the end of the selection). If you do this, it would be wise to set up a 2 bar count-in so you have time to get your hands back on your instrument.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Only one more trick about "part by part" recording.
Record few beats at the end of the previous section otherwise it's gonna sound weird with some severe drops between: noticeable editing.
For the bass it's quite fine cause it's monophonic (first note is stopped by the second one, even if sometimes you can have some nice harmonics lasting on the next note) but for the other instruments like guitar, some strings still ringing on the next chord (release tail).So it's better to record a little bit more before the next section starting point.After you can apply the crossfade as close as possible to the transient and the release is still in you new part.
Hope it wasn't too blurry.
Enjoy recording