Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 AM

Default Logic 5.0.0 crashes all the time.. Is there a Logic expert around here?

Hi,
I've been mixing off a Pro tools 5.1.1 system through an SSL 9K all week. Yesterday, we switched to Logic to work with a producer who uses Logic. We just installed Logic onto the computer and away we went. The Pro Tools software and hardware had been flawless for the whole week.

Logic has been a nightmare. Crashing all the time. If you leave it alone for 20 mins, it goes down. Sometimes, if you move the mouse, it goes down. We have the keyboard and mouse on the extendit, but I moved the XSKey to a USB hub so it wouldn't be on the extendit. That might have cause some problems early on.

But this morning we came in, having left the system on all night, and Logic was frozen and looping a random section of audio.

This is my first time really using Logic (the producer here uses it all the time), and I have to say I'm unimpressed. Did they just release 5 too soon? Is there a 5.0.1 out, or a 5.1 out that would be more stable? Anyone?

Again, this is an identical setup to the crashless Pro Tools one we had been using all week... All we did was add Logic.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Logic 5.0.0 crashes all the time.. Is there a Logic expert around here?

Quote:
Logic has been a nightmare. Crashing all the time. If you leave it alone for 20 mins, it goes down. Sometimes, if you move the mouse, it goes down. We have the keyboard and mouse on the extendit, but I moved the XSKey to a USB hub so it wouldn't be on the extendit. That might have cause some problems early on.
But this morning we came in, having left the system on all night, and Logic was frozen and looping a random section of audio.
This is my first time really using Logic (the producer here uses it all the time), and I have to say I'm unimpressed. Did they just release 5 too soon? Is there a 5.0.1 out, or a 5.1 out that would be more stable? Anyone?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry i can't help too much. For most people, logic 5.0 has been very stable (esp considering it's a major overhall). i doubt the XSKey had anything to do with it. If there's a connection problem, Logic would just quit with a chance to save.
If I was you, i would go to logic-users and logic-tdm on Yahoo groups. they'll sort you out. but be sure to give them (and here) more info about your setup - what kind of mac, what digi rig, etc

regards

Malcolm
Old 04-26-2002, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Logic 5.0.0 crashes all the time.. Is there a Logic expert around here?

Sounds like you are using OMS. If you can disable OMS and let Logic talk directly to the MIDI gear that will likely help. If you are using a MIDI interface, somehow I am guessing it's a MOTO AV USB which you have to use OMS with.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:00 AM

There's a 5.1 upgrade on the emagic site. www.emagicusa.com/updates

It's mostly for Logic Control, but it might have other more stabilizing tweaks. (I'm using it w/o a Logic Control.)

I assume you're not trying to do this with a HD system. Logic won't work with it yet. Check DAE versions. Some have better luck with 5.1 than 5.1.1 or 5.1.3. For me it doesn't seem to matter since 5.0. Strip out the uneeded extensions, etc. Trash Digi prefs. Turn off all other audio drivers in Logic. That's all I can think of to fix it... there are work around possibilities, but it should work fine. Mine does.

Good luck,
Brian
Old 04-26-2002, 11:46 AM

I wasn't using OMS in Logic, but I turned off the OMS extension in the extensions manager, and all the problems went away. So maybe that was it... we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:21 PM

Never had a problem with Logic 4.x, solid as a rock, but when I switched to 5.0 all hell broke loose, I've been getting all kinds of error messages I've never seen before and tons of crashes. Part of the problem may have been using an earlier autoload...anyone else having problems?
Old 04-27-2002, 01:27 AM

Logic works for me extremly stable - as always.
993 MHz, PTMix, Logic 5.1
Old 04-27-2002, 03:31 AM

Try ditching all USB extension cables and hubs.

If it is then stable, then those elements are the problem.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:29 AM

I'm on a Mix3 with Logic 5.1 and I have found a few issues. The XS Key is a bit suspect, every now and then it pops up with a prompt 'please connect the key' when it's already connnected (tried hub, mac and monitor connections). Also (with TDM) and automation working when bouncing down is buggy with both 5.0 and 5.1.

Still an amazing program though could'nt be without it. Love that ES2.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:23 PM

There was no problem with the extensions or the usb. It was the OMS extension being turned on when the Unitor Interface was in the OMS extensions folder. This caused all the problems. When the OMS extension is off, all the crashes went away.

Remember, I was playing back online synced to the SSL with the unitor.

I also put the XS key on a hub attatched to the computer, not the xtendit keyboard. That fixed the XS key problems.