Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Default Instrument track will record, but no notes appear?

First off, im a beginner, so please forgive me if i am being an idiot. My problem is that I am trying to record midi on an instrument track using my mouse on the midi editor (until i get a midi keyboard controller) but when i record the midi, i can hear the notes, i see the blue recorded box appear, but no notes. Why is this? I am able to use the midi editor and click in notes, but thatis just a bit too time consuming. Please help me!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Instrument track will record, but no notes appear?

I don't think you can RECORD midi using the mouse. You CAN use the mouse to click and drop notes on the piano roll. You should be using a STEREO instrument track and make sure the VI is inserted in the top slot(slot A). If you look up to the right of the counter(in the EDIT window) there is a box that addresses midi. In the lower right corner of that box is a velocity value for notes that you drop with the mouse. Click on it and run the mouse up(or down) to choose a default velocity(I like 105-110 for drum sounds). It5 might be worth a trip to youtube.com to watch some videos. BTW, once you DO get a midi controller, you need to do 2 things to make it work. 1-install the drivers for your OS, and 2-go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and create an instrument(your controller), assign the correct port(where it plugins in, such as USB or Mbox midi in) and close the window(BTW, the brand and model info are totally optional). That's the basic setup for a single controller and should get you going. Later, when you need a more complex setup, you can dig in there and get fancy, but what I laid out is what you need to be functional

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Really? I could've sworn I have seen videos of people using the mouse to record. I know that when I select the record button, it records blank midi, and no notes appear even if I hit the notes on the piano roll. What I am going to attempt to do is to just buy the MIDI keyboard and hope it works. If it doesn't, I'll take this further.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Perhaps your Track View Selection is something other than Notes? It's probably defaulting to Regions.

Bob
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 AM

I'd lay money on Bob being right.