Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Default EastWest subscription

If you guys didn't know EastWest has now started a collaboration system. $49.99 a month gets you ALL their instruments. I say that is NOT a bad deal whatsoever if you ask me. That is over $11,000 of instruments for $49.99 a month. You just can't beat that. I think that was a great move from EastWest / soundsonline...

Last edited by roboman01; 06-12-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 AM

Default Re: So what's REALLy going on?

That's if you subscribe for the year...otherwise it's $74.99 per month & pay as you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
If you guys didn't know EastWest has now started a collaboration system. $49.99 a month gets you ALL their instruments. I say that is NOT a bad deal whatsoever if you ask me. That is over $11,000 of instruments for $49.99 a month. You just can't beat that. I think that was a great move from EastWest / soundsonline....
Old 06-13-2015, 08:38 AM

One ongoing problem with EW (one amongst several) is that there isn't a single library in their catalog which isn't trumped by another product. Products often less expensive and almost certainly with better support. So... although I might be able to rent a Dodge Stratus for only $75/month I'd still be driving a Dodge Stratus.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 AM

I'm saying $75 a month is too much regardless what it is...in this regard that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
One ongoing problem with EW (one amongst several) is that there isn't a single library in their catalog which isn't trumped by another product. Products often less expensive and almost certainly with better support. So... although I might be able to rent a Dodge Stratus for only $75/month I'd still be driving a Dodge Stratus.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Years ago I was one of the biggest EW fans....then came the awful PLAY transition. Caused myself and every other colleague of mine to find alternatives quickly. None of us have even given EW a peek since.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Years ago I was one of the biggest EW fans....then came the awful PLAY transition. Caused myself and every other colleague of mine to find alternatives quickly. None of us have even given EW a peek since.
Very greedy ... and the latest version even more.

Vienna (VSL) is much better done, and so superior! But the sound is more "source", while EW gives the already processed, ready-to-eat. I have many banks EW, but I always come back to Vienna.

Memory management side, Vienna is perfect. Never a problem, even with the integrated reverb.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Same here. EWQLSO got a lot of use even in its early days, but things have changed quite a lot since then. And the company is just atrocious. Oh the stories I've heard (and read)...
Old 06-13-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Vienna (VSL) is much better done, and so superior! But the sound is more "source", while EW gives the already processed, ready-to-eat.
VSL rules in every way! And they're always among the first to prepare updates as OS/DAWs change and require them. And they respond almost immediately with personal assistance. The Dimension Strings are sick!!!

And while I get your point about the raw and up-close nature of their sound (it's intentional, as I'm sure you know) you're not stuck doing all the work in the mix -- they offer MIR which goes at least as far as the EW verbs, and even without buying MIR their basic "reverb" sounds very good. And, when you want a drier, more personal sound you CAN! Btw, I love VSL dry, or in small rooms. What a cool sound.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
VSL rules in every way! And they're always among the first to prepare updates as OS/DAWs change and require them. And they respond almost immediately with personal assistance. The Dimension Strings are sick!!!

And while I get your point about the raw and up-close nature of their sound (it's intentional, as I'm sure you know) you're not stuck doing all the work in the mix -- they offer MIR which goes at least as far as the EW verbs, and even without buying MIR their basic "reverb" sounds very good. And, when you want a drier, more personal sound you CAN! Btw, I love VSL dry, or in small rooms. What a cool sound.
+1! They are heaven when used with a Bricasti.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Very greedy ... and the latest version even more.

Vienna (VSL) is much better done, and so superior! But the sound is more "source", while EW gives the already processed, ready-to-eat. I have many banks EW, but I always come back to Vienna.

Memory management side, Vienna is perfect. Never a problem, even with the integrated reverb.
I agree Vienna is the real deal and I am so sorry for changing the subject on this topic. I never have used EW products but I do use Vienna. Now, if Vienna would do a subscription I would pay out the EW subscription just to go with Vienna. The couple of instruments I have from Vienna are full length of the keyboard not just two or three keys. This is the only downfall so far of EW but I am still downloading their stuff as I write.

BTW its not 79.99 its 49.99 for the yearly subscription. It was this or go with Photoshop's subscription but I am a music person more than a graphic person even though I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop 7.