Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-03-2002, 06:59 AM

Default BUG WITH IMPORTING WMA FILES

I record sermons at church with an outboard CDR. I have for a while been taking these CD's home, ripping them with Media Player 7.1, editing in PTLE and burning back on CD for distribution.

This weekend, PTLE locked up twice at the end of the import process. Each time it did, it crashed the computer.

1st, it destoyed the System file. I was able to reinstall windows and continue.

2nd, it wiped my system drive out and it had to be reformatted. Being that I have never had such a problem, I was less than prepared, and lost 3yrs worth of files (my documents). Luckily, my audio is on a seperately drive.

DIGI!! What is going on with this. Anyone have this problem. I am scared to try again.

PLEASE HELP
Old 09-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Avid

Default Re: BUG WITH IMPORTING WMA FILES

Do the files which result in a system freeze differ from any of the other files you have imported without problems?

Were you always using the same version of Win Media Player to rip your audio?

What else has changed in your system between the time things were working and the time that your computer started freezing?

Brent
Old 09-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Brent,
I ran into this problem a couple of days ago also. First freeze I got in PTLE in a year. I've always imported wav files but thought I'd try a WMA file. When I clicked on the file in the conversion window PTLE froze. I tried it two times after this with the same result. Required a hard boot each time. I'll just avoid WMA files.
WinME
PTLE 5.1.0

Allen
Old 09-03-2002, 08:55 PM

I had the same result when I used win98se with WinMedia 7.1. When I switch to XP, I've tried the same process with WinMedia 8. And it works flawlessly. Now with 5.3.1 you do not need to do this I think. I never tried it but if it works like TDM mac, in PT go movies, and select import audio from movie (if I remember correctly) and you'll import the audio from CD directly into your Protool session.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:09 AM

It was working fine ripping sermons off of CD's.

The first time it froze is when I tried to rip some music for a speaker test off of a commercial audio CD. I had done this in the past and this time it just didn't like it.

I didn't change anything software or hardware wise. I am just baffled. After the first freeze, it destoyed my system file. I restored windows and tries getting a sermon in and it froze again destroying my harddrive this time.

(BTW... mentioning sermon CD's and Commercially recorded CD's because my sermon CD's are recorded with a Rack CDR. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.)

Last night I got everything restored and instead of trying again, I downloaded a CD ripping software that rips to WAV. I got the commerial song into Protools. However, at the end of the conversion, it hung momentarily, (scared the bugeeses out of me) then it worked.

Should there be an issue with wma files??

Is there anything I can check system wise??

Thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 AM

Allen,
What do you use to rip CD's
Old 09-04-2002, 07:18 AM

Either Easy CD Creator or Nero.

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]