Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Help needed - Creating macro to speed up vocal tuning process

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask if anyone could help with this question. I would like to create a macro to speed up the following process.

I manually tune a lot of vocals in Pro Tools. It is a tedious process, described here below:

1. Insert Antares Autotune Pro (aax) on vocal track.

2. Select audio region to tune (usually a short phrase at at time).

3. Select GRAPH mode in Autotune. Track audio into Autotune (hit play, etc)

4. Select MAKE CURVES.

5. Manually tweak curves in Graph mode (i.e. tune vocals).

6. In Autotune plugin, select COPY SETTINGS (and then bypass aax plugin)

7. Open Audiosuite version of Autotune.

8. Paste settings into Audiosuite plugin.

9. Click RENDER in Audiosuite plugin (while audio region is still highlighted).

10. Close Audiosuite plugin window

11. Repeat for next region.

I don't know if this is the correct or wrong way to do this, but it is the way I have always done it. Is there a way to create a macro, just to handle the process of copying and pasting my settings from the aax plugin, into the Audiosuite plugin? In other words, I would of course still need to track the audio into the aax plugin, do the manual tuning etc. But if I could just press a single Key on my Mac keyboard (or other USB device), to handle all the rest (copy settings, bypass aax plugin, open audiosuite plugin, paste settings, render, close audiosuite plugin)... that would be a huge time saver.

Anyone? Thanks...
Old 02-28-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Help needed - Creating macro to speed up vocal tuning process

There's really no fast way to do this kind of editing. There is simply too much going on, unless you are willing to let the plugin make more choices for you. Since I am not willing to do that(I want the vocal to sound like it was sung right without any intervention) and for me, Melodyne is the best tool for that. How fast can it be? Depends totally on how off the source is, and on how invisible you want the tuning to be. AutoTune is a great product, but I find it best at putting a little touch of polish on a vocal that is close. Whatever time it takes is rather insignificant compared to having to spend hours re-singing(especially if the singer isn't very good). I suggest watching some tutorials on using Melodyne to see if it might be a better option(and the current version of PT includes Melodyne Essentials, which is quite a capable plugin for tuning a single vocal track).

Re-read your method and I do think you may be going the long way around on this, so here's more to think about. Once you insert Autotune on the track(always use it in the first slot), add a pre-fade send to a new blank AUDIO track. Bypass other plugins and as you tune each section, just record it to that blank audio track. Once you reach the end, all your tuned clips are done and recorded(rendered) on the new track. At that point, you can choose to simply use the new track as your "Finished Vocal", or you can copy/paste back onto the original track.

Remember, the great thing about digital is; there's 4 ways to do everything. The bad thing about digital is; there's 4 ways to do everything..........

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 11:03 AM

Thanks for your input Dave. Yea, I have tried the option of recording the processed (tuned) version onto a new track. That works too.

Just thought I'd research this a bit more, to see if the macros are an option too. I guess we all have our Pro Tools habits... but it's probably a good idea to try new methods.

Thanks again. Anyone else have any ideas about macros?
Old 03-01-2021, 11:39 AM

I agree with Dave above - recording to another track is the easiest way. To make the workflow easier, I copy the entire vocal track to another empty track first, and place Autotune on the new track's insert with no other plugins or automation, then route the output of that track through the main vocal track, duplicate the main playlist (labeling it 'tuned'). That way I can just punch into the main vocal track the parts I want to tune, run on input only to test it out first. The untuned version will always exist on a playlist on the same track this way.

You can also make an Auto-Tune preset with your main settings (such as Graphical, Male Vocal, etc.) and recall that preset. To take it one step further, you could create a blank track with all of these settings including routing on an empty session to use as a template and import that using "Import session data".
Old 03-01-2021, 11:16 PM

It is not the cheapest solution, but with soundflow you can script a lot.

https://soundflow.org

I made some very complex automation scripts and what you are looking for, I think it should be easy to to. And a lot more.

Daniel
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM

Thanks for chiming in C-Tone and Daniel. Good to hear different options. I guess the recording to another track is a popular option.

I did come across Soundflow recently, which I do find interesting. Although the 2 possible deterrents would be (1) $10 a month subscription and (2) Do I need to know Javascript for this specific series of commands? I wasn't 100% clear on that part. I know Soundflow already offers a bunch of pre-included Pro Tools related scripts, but I didn't see anything like I what I am trying to do.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:18 AM

me too I think it is not a cheap option, that soundflow.

Some macros can be built without programming, but for some you need the programming. I just hired a student for this, to do my programming - worked well.

For most things there is a solution in soundflow, but at the beginning you have to bite a little bit until it runs really good.

Cheers
Old 03-06-2021, 10:43 AM

I hear ya. Not a bad idea, to get a student to do the Javascript work.