Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Pro Tools Not recording on time

I have never had this issue. But Ive tried it on PT 10 and 11. I create a new session and even on older sessions. I add a new track, and add a click track. I enable record, and start playing my acoustic guitar which I have plugged in to my interface. Im playing on beat, but when I go to listen to my recording it is offbeat, its behind a little, I have to drag the wav form back to get it to be on beat. I dont know what to do, it ruined an entire session today. I recorded vocals not to long ago and did not have this issue.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 PM

more info would help....

You have to move guitar track forward or back in time? and by how much exactly? (samples preferred).

You were singing to a click or rhythm track and would have noticed this with previous vocals?

what interface? you are listening to the click track on headphones I assume... are you monitoring the guitar there as well? does that have a noticeable latency (if using pro tools for monitoring).

io buffer size? delay compensation enabled? what plugins in use on the track?.

trash prefs.

set up a new empty session and just a click track and play (or just clap) along to that... problem still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Not recording on time

I have to drag the track backwords, not by much. Using a Saffire pro 40. Brand new session one click track, one mono track, just playing guitar to the speakers, no headphones. Have tried 256,526,1024 sample rates, updated pro tools and saffire control. Tried delay comp on and off. I havent trashed preferences yet. Im just doing what i normally do when i record my band but now its not working.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Always start by trashing prefs. And then try starting with another empty session. But if that does not help....

those are io buffer sizes, handy to know but not sample rates. And the only reason for wanting to know sample rate is to convert between # sample delays and real time delays.

So you are playing to a click track in the room... which the mic should be picking up... which makes measuring the latency there very easy.

It seems like you are trying lots of things but you should be trying to work out what is happening.

So exactly how far (in # samples) are you moving things. Set the track time display to samples and measure the offset. And what is that compared to the delay caused by IO buffer sample size (pick the smallest buffer size Pro Tools is stable at and leave it there). Test what happens if delay comp is off and on and what #samples delay comp is applying to tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.