How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Punch Record on a Satellite

Hi guys,

I'm working with two protools in satellite : one for mixing, the other for recording.

I'm looking for a way to punch record in and out in my recorder while staying focused on my mixer on my S6.

This would be very convenient.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Avid

Default Re: Punch Record on a Satellite

Greetings,

You can accomplish this in several different ways. Perhaps the best way is with the MPM - Master Post Module which is a PEC Direct paddle interface that supports up to 7.1.2 and can be targeted to any of the workstations in your S6 setup.

You can also use Layouts to bring up groups of channels spanning multiple workstations. You could for example, bring up a layout in a specific Zone on your surface which represents VCA's for your stem recorder that you want to punch into. I would recommend checking out the S6 Operation document 3.6.1 which covers several of these ideas.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM

Thank you very much Jeff.

Sorry, but i don't think i will buy a 5000$ module just for a button that can be targeted to one protools. I'm sure it's pretty useful in many configs but a bit expensive fo my problem.

The solution with one VCA that can punch all the stems and the mix in "Track Punch" Mode is quite interesting but the rec buttons on the faders are too small for the big fingers of a sound engineer …

Wouldn't it be possible to dedicate a soft key (the rec button of the transport section for example …) to a specific worksation ?

Thank you !
Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Avid

Greetings,

It is not currently possible to map a track's record function as a soft key on the transport or to another soft key. Recording can be done from the dedicated record button on a Fader Module's channelstrip, the Master Post Module or the Tracks Page of the Master Touch Module.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucha View Post
Thank you very much Jeff.

Sorry, but i don't think i will buy a 5000$ module just for a button that can be targeted to one protools. I'm sure it's pretty useful in many configs but a bit expensive fo my problem.

The solution with one VCA that can punch all the stems and the mix in "Track Punch" Mode is quite interesting but the rec buttons on the faders are too small for the big fingers of a sound engineer …

Wouldn't it be possible to dedicate a soft key (the rec button of the transport section for example …) to a specific worksation ?

Thank you !
Colind Broad Pd1 is a pec direct controller at £2.2k I guess.
(Aprox 2.8KUSD)
It has a S6 version. Fader Module Size.
It also alllow stems mute, solo... really nice monitoring features
It works really well. You will need a machine controll license, because it works in the old serial fashion, but it comes with a serial-usb converter.
Allows stems up to 11.1 or something like this (atmos ready)
Colin is very nice and supportative.
-----
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 AM

Sorry Guys,

i think i didn't expresse myself well.

I was only talking about a single record button (located on the transport panel) that would be dedicated to my recorder satellite to punch in and out my sequences without switching between workstations …
My workaround is to use a fader port connected to the recorder.

So the idea was simply to be able to dedicate a soft key to a specific workstation.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Avid

You could lock the transport section to the recorder and focus the rest of the console to the other WS.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 AM

Thank you very much Eddie !
It works perfectly !