Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Question PT cutting off last seconds of recording

Here's a new one for me! I was getting ready to mix a recent recording I made of solo piano. I'm starting to make my beginning and ending fades for each take and noticed that the ending sounded weird. I listen and look closer to find that each track has the last few seconds chopped off, as if I unplugged the inputs but kept recording.

They don't happen exactly in the same spot from the end of each region but this is very consistent across every take. Each of the 3 stereo tracks has the same audio cut in each take. I checked the raw WAV forms in another DAW and the audio is definitely not there.

I can't wait to tell the musician that every take we made is flawed.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've been using PT on this machine for years now!

This setup uses an 002 rack with PT 8.0.1 for OSX 10.5.8 on a 2 x 2.66 GHz MacPro with 2GB of RAM. The clock source is set to SP/DIF and hooked to an external Stereo96 ADC from Mytek. I was using an external preamp hooked into the Mytek, another external pre plugged into Analog 7/8 and another stereo pair plugged into Mic/Line 1-2.

As I mentioned, I've been recording multitrack in this space for a few years with this configuration. I had trouble on the day of this session getting PT to begin recording (stop and play buttons would flash for 6-10 seconds before play would stay lit and recording would start). I restarted and had this same problem...but the recording seemed to work so I didn't pay too much attention. I verified that my Pre and Post-rolls were turned off (they were).

Any thoughts on this? I need this setup to be more stable than this! I can provide session files if needed.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Angry Re: PT cutting off last seconds of recording

Still bummed about this session. I can't figure out how in the hell this could have happened. There is no logical reason for muting all 3 stereo inputs at once at different intervals of time from the end of each take. They were all within 15 seconds of the end, though.

Just when you think you have technology wrangled. Ha
Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Re: PT cutting off last seconds of recording

should check in your backup session files (all of them), one at a time and see if they all were cutoff.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Unhappy Re: PT cutting off last seconds of recording

I checked the WAV files themselves and the sound indeed cuts off on the original recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
should check in your backup session files (all of them), one at a time and see if they all were cutoff.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Avid

Very odd indeed. Does this occur in other sessions or just this one? If you record in this session again, does it do the same thing?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM

Post Re: PT cutting off last seconds of recording

Haven't tried to record again to this session. In general, my recordings are or performances that last 45+ minutes. This was a session where we were focusing on recording individual songs so the length of the tracks was much shorter (between 4 and 25 mins). I generally let the recordings of the full performances run out a bit at the end as opposed to stopping after the input goes quiet. I may have some time to experiment with this today and will write my findings.

Any other suggestions would be useful. I don't like the feeling that I cannot rely on this equipment because this machine is generally used for creating archival recordings of events. We can't afford an HD rig so this seemed like the best way to go. Maybe as the price of used RADAR rigs go down I could use that as a backup (and for the converters!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Very odd indeed. Does this occur in other sessions or just this one? If you record in this session again, does it do the same thing?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM

I would still check the backup sessions if you have them. I have never had this happen on my setup.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Hasn't happened since and I make a few recordings per week on the same system. I haven't been stopping between tracks, though. Hopefully this won't ever happen again! I went back and checked and the WAV files are chopped.

The pianist wasn't too mad but maybe a telling detail of this ordeal is that he hasn't rescheduled the session yet.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Haven't tried to record again to this session. In general, my recordings are or performances that last 45+ minutes. This was a session where we were focusing on recording individual songs so the length of the tracks was much shorter (between 4 and 25 mins). I generally let the recordings of the full performances run out a bit at the end as opposed to stopping after the input goes quiet. I may have some time to experiment with this today and will write my findings.

Any other suggestions would be useful. I don't like the feeling that I cannot rely on this equipment because this machine is generally used for creating archival recordings of events. We can't afford an HD rig so this seemed like the best way to go. Maybe as the price of used RADAR rigs go down I could use that as a backup (and for the converters!).
By any chance do you have a hard drive minute allocation set? For instance, mine is set to 20 minutes max per take.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:44 PM

This is the only thread that addresses the exact same problem i'm having now. Anyone ever figure this out? I have nearly the same (old) configuration with a 003r and mac os 10.8.5, pro tools 8.0.5.

Pro tools seems to not save the last 10 seconds or so of every recording.

Sorry for re-opening an 8 year old thread.