Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 06:57 AM

Default Cutting a long recording into separate tracks

I am doing a project for a help seminar that I will be recording into my MBOX. After all is said and done I should have 1 1/2 hours of audio. I need to separate it into tracks. Is there an easy way of doing that? For example, during different topics I could separate it by different tracks. Thank you for your help!

Raif
Old 02-18-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Cutting a long recording into separate tracks

If you have a mono or stereo track of the entire 90 minutes, I would simply cut wherever you want using Ctrl-E. Then, with your playlist open on the right side of the screen, highlight your track region, right-click on the highlighted region in the playlist and rename it so you can keep track of what is what. Now you have to decide what to do with all these regions. I am tempted to suggest dragging each region onto its own audio track and just solo one at a time. If your end product will be a CD, you can bounce to disk for each track (solo the one you want) to create audio files that are ready to burn onto a CD (make sure they are 16 bit/44.1K). When I bounce, I usually tell the bounce "manager" to put the new file in a folder on my desktop so I don't need to go digging in the session folder/audio files folder to find the CD-ready audio.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Cutting a long recording into separate tracks

First, do whatever processing needs to be done to the file (comp/eq/limit etc etc). Then either bounce that file, but seeing as its an hour and a half, maybe copy the settings and render them with the AS counterparts.

Then, ctrl E and edit the tracks wherever you want them to be seprated into their own tracks.

Then select all the regions in the edit window and go to your region list menu and either export region definitions, or export selected as audio files. If you do the prior, you will need an app like Jam that will recognize region defintions to burn. So usually, the latter is easier, even if it does take a tad longer and chew up a bit more HD space.

Then burn the disc. Done.