Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Question about Pro Tools 11 HD (And Not Upgrading to pt12 until later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk View Post
I read if you dont purchase some kind of upgrade by December 31 2015 you will never be able to get another update again? Is this information correct? So what would I do with my HD Native system if i needed to update it after.
They can't do that to HD hardware owners that would be the death nail to ANYONE buying Avid - nobody would even buy Avid hardware ever again.
From what I was told nothing is changing for HD owners.But then Avid Avid's messages is messed up these days - sounds like the guy at the top is clueless to me.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Question about Pro Tools 11 HD (And Not Upgrading to pt12 until later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
They can't do that to HD hardware owners that would be the death nail to ANYONE buying Avid - nobody would even buy Avid hardware ever again.
From what I was told nothing is changing for HD owners.But then Avid Avid's messages is messed up these days - sounds like the guy at the top is clueless to me.
Whew! Thanks that's good to hear. I feel the same as you. Let's hope for the best!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Again, note that the contents of this post are totally my own conclusions and opinions, based on my own research. My only relationship with Avid is that of a customer.

For the upteenth time, this is all related to Avid's accounting issues. The issues have negatively impacted Avid's financial statements retroactively for several years. Finding and "fixing" these accounting issues has cost Avid a great deal of money. Changing their accounting system to avoid these issues going forward has cost a lot of money.

The licensing models that Avid is describing are the way things are going to be. Avid is a US corporation...as such, they are bound by Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulations, which means they are bound by US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Even if Avid wanted to go back to the old licensing model, under US laws, they cannot go back!

No matter how much people p*ss and moan, Avid cannot go back! No matter how much people hold out hopes of unicorns farting rainbows, Avid cannot go back!

Unfortunately, the document Park Seward located is totally irrelevant to the licensing model Avid will be using going forward. That document relates to the old "service plans" often referenced by Bob Olhsson. These were plans primarily offered to Avid's larger customers, for whom a day's downtime might translate into the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars US. The "service plans" currently being offered by Avid are related to the previously mentioned accounting issues, and are a totally different animal from those described in the document found by Mr. Seward.

Also, unfortunately...mmk despite your expressed wish of "Lets just hope this means that the regular HD update price / option is not going away!", it has, in fact, already gone away, and will not be coming back. Going forward, the only way you will be able to obtain anything other than bug fixes will be via: a "service plan". And while details have not yet been released regarding HD software, for non-HD licensees it will not be like the Waves WUP. Should you let your Avid "service plan" expire, with a new purchase of a "service plan" and Pro Tools license, currently priced at $899 US.

And that's just the way it is...
This would be OK I guess 889 and I get service plan with it. As long as its permanent. That's actually not too bad, its a little pricey but were HD users you gotta expect that. As long as it doesn't matter when I buy it whether its now or in 3 yrs
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk View Post
All i need is to be able to upgrade when I feel at my own will for a fair price. I hope they consider that
That's what we all want - unfortunately, Avid have decided it's time you must pay annually to use their software ... the hardware is yours to keep!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Best thing to do is to wait… and see later on what Avid is gonna announce for HDX users. Until then, there is nothing we can do.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 02-16-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
That's what we all want - unfortunately, Avid have decided it's time you must pay annually to use their software ... the hardware is yours to keep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Best thing to do is to wait… and see later on what Avid is gonna announce for HDX users. Until then, there is nothing we can do.
Thanks for the replies. Yeah lets just wait and see!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Unfortunately, the current policy states that HD owners owe 599 a year or no updates upgrades.

This was the very reason myself and several other of my peers will not be buying AVID hardware.

So, it is already happening. People aren't buying their hardware. I've allocated that expeniture this year to other things, possibly even a RAVEN as I'm not confident in the Artist series anymore either.

AVID kind of screwed this up big time with the user base
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Unfortunately, the current policy states that HD owners owe 599 a year or no updates upgrades.

This was the very reason myself and several other of my peers will not be buying AVID hardware.

So, it is already happening. People aren't buying their hardware. I've allocated that expeniture this year to other things, possibly even a RAVEN as I'm not confident in the Artist series anymore either.

AVID kind of screwed this up big time with the user base
I'm right there with you. I am waiting to see what's going to happen for HD users before purchasing hardware. I'm ready to buy now but not until I know what the future holds...