Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 PM

Default AUX Effects Outputs

Just started using a mix buss with all tracks routed to it.
Question: what output for AUX effects return tracks - mix buss or output 1-2?
Thanks, Dan
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Re: AUX Effects Outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraniamusic View Post
Just started using a mix buss with all tracks routed to it.
Question: what output for AUX effects return tracks - mix buss or output 1-2?
Thanks, Dan
The answer is...YES Sorry to sound silly, but both ways are valid so try both and see which works best for you Personally, since this is new to you, I suggest going a bit deeper and creating more than 1 mix bus. Maybe one for drums(with effects), a second bus for instruments and a third mix bus for vocals(with or without FX). One advantage of routing vocals separate is; you can easily feed a side-chain from the vocal bus to a compressor on your instrument bus to have the vocals ever-so-slightly make the music drop in volume to help vocals stay up front(or course, there are many other tricks, but dive into this method a little at a time so you don't chase your tail)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Thanks Dave,
I already have a drum bus but will take your advice and use vocal & instrument buses. Still haven't got my head around Aux output; I'm thinking it should go to mix bus??
Dan
Old 02-10-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraniamusic View Post
Thanks Dave,
I already have a drum bus but will take your advice and use vocal & instrument buses. Still haven't got my head around Aux output; I'm thinking it should go to mix bus??
Dan
Here's what I do:
With tracks I can group together like drums I create a bus (actually I route directly to an aux track) that collects all the drum tracks. Then for the drums I want to use reverb on I do a send from each track to an aux track that has the reverb on it. I then create a second aux that collects the output of the first drum aux and the reverb aux. That second aux then goes to my 2-bus. That way I can change the total level of both the dry drum sound and reverb and keep their relative balance. If I didn't create that second aux to do the collection the output of the dry drum aux and reverb aux would go to the 2-bus. If you do that and change the level of the dry drum aux the balance between the reverb aux and dry drum aux changes.

QAPLA!