Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Nonsense.
A Hackintosh is legally OK. If Avid ever approves such a system is another story.
Are hackintosh Legal in the US?

And here's an other article about it

Wave-T.com
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the links Manny. I knew some of what the first article talks about but didn't have a link I could reference.

QAPLA!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Also building a Mac with PC components is not illegal in the US as long as I do so for personal usage.
Building such a Mac may not be illegal but using Apple software to run it as a Mac IS illegal in the US. Or didn't you read the first article Manny linked to?

On an aside - I thought you were done with the DUC as you mentioned in another thread here?

QAPLA!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Also building a Mac with PC components is not illegal in the US as long as I do so for personal usage.
It breaks the ULA and the copyrights.

I've heard that Jailbreaking is now legal in EU but I haven't seen anything saying that it applies to computers so as far as I know, it's still illegal in the EU.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!! (Pro Tools and Hyperthreading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
Avid needs to get off their buttocks and tweaks Pro Tools for utilizing HYPERTHREADING. We are in 2019 and PTs is the ONLY DAW I've found that has issues using HT!!!

I get all kinds of dropouts just using one single AU synth. I have an i7 4770k with 2400mhz 16gb RAM all on SSD. Also I am using El Capitan. There is no reason for this Avid, none at all. I should not have to just go into my bios just to disable HT. What bothers me, on the dropouts, I am watching my CPU utilization and they don't even touch 8%, just core 4 is being used and boom dropouts. I dont' get no errors just the normal dropout .

Avid is adding this and that with all these nice cool features but lacking HT support is just plain stupid. I've used a few other DAWs and I can tell you Pro Tools is the ONLY one that has issues with HT being on. Its just dumb. FIX this please because its getting stupid. I shouldn't have to turn of HT just to just PT 2018. I guess I need to just cut off my subscription and move on like others have done. Maybe its time to permanently move over to something else.
El cap - 3 year old os - probably the worst MACOS in recent history.
Au - not supported in PT
Non-apple computer?

I have no issues what so ever with hyper threading on my 12-core MacPro macOS 10.13.6, PT 2018.12.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Is there some sort of apple police coming to water board you for hackintosh? Haha.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Is there some sort of apple police coming to water board you for hackintosh? Haha.

I do find it amusing people getting mega heated about software piracy, but many are willing to turn a blind eye to people running Mac OS on a non Apple machine.

Out of sight, out of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 AM

I repeat; I have no problem with HT on my Mac Pro (10.13.6 PTU2018.12) and all my other macs.
For AU only plugins, I use Patchwork, which works perfect under Protools.

And as other users said in this thread. El Capitan is the unstablest and overall the worst OSX. There are Problems with the Core Audio Framework and more more. Try to update your OSX to High Sierra. Maybe PT2018 works better...
Old 02-17-2019, 01:06 AM

Yes that's hilarious. Didn't even know it was a confirmed fact. But NOT the case with Media Composer.. ehm. I bet Pro Tools could perform better too... if they optimized Pro Tools for hyper threading...

From Avid.com recommended Win 10 optimizations:

"Disable Hyper-Threading

This optimization prevents processor Hyper-Threading, which can cause CPU errors in Pro Tools. Note that some other applications, including Media Composer, may perform better with Hyper-Threading enabled. Hyper-Threading settings are found in the BIOS, and they vary by computer model and BIOS version. Consult your computer or motherboard manufacturer to determine if these settings are available on your system, and to learn how to disable them."

Lol!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
It breaks the ULA and the copyrights.

I've heard that Jailbreaking is now legal in EU but I haven't seen anything saying that it applies to computers so as far as I know, it's still illegal in the EU.
Beyond the legality as far as jailbreaking goes on things like cell phones it also voids the warranty IIRC.

QAPLA!