Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 02:35 PM

Default Audio files not saved in session folder please help

i have a Lacie firewire external drive. it is a 30 gig drive partistioned into three 10gig partistion. I sometime notice that when i close a session the audio and fade files folders show up in another partistion other than the sesssion and i have to move the files back to where they should be. Is this common with macs or is there some setting im missing. I have already lost some files due to throwing away files i thought were duplicate. Also does mace have a defrag program standard like windows. is ther a recover button for thr trash once you empty it.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Audio files not saved in session folder please help

I've had the same problem. While I'm not infront of ProTools or the manual right now, I know there is a setting for Hard Disk Allocation ( or Usage, or something to that effect). When you have a session open, look for this menu and select the hard drive you want to save the files to. You can do it on a track by track basis, presumably so you can write to multiple drives for better (?) performance, or if you have limited disc space. There is probably a user preset, or maybe you have to do this for every session...I dunno. Anyway, that menu helped get my file recorded to the correct drive.

Note: This only works with new tracks before they are recorded. If you have a track on another hard drive you can copy it to a different location. While in the session, you may want to rename the tracks/regions with specific names so you can clearly identify them when you're moving files.

If someone has the definitive answer for how to properly set up a session, I'd like to know, too.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-13-2001, 11:21 PM

Make sure your "disk allocation" is set to the correct drive BEFORE you start recording.
Furthermore, If you are using a template, set the "disk allocation" on the template for the right drive.
Old 03-14-2001, 02:31 AM

And lastly. If you have a template put it on the drive you intend to record on before opening it. Then the files will be placed there (assuming no Round Robin or other feature are enabled).

Hat way you don't need to reset the disk allocation every time you launch a new session from a session file.

At least it worked that way in PT 5.01.
// JW

Quote:
Originally posted by Chompers:
Make sure your "disk allocation" is set to the correct drive BEFORE you start recording.
Furthermore, If you are using a template, set the "disk allocation" on the template for the right drive.

------------------
>>We need more time so that everything doesn't happen at once<<

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 03-14-2001, 11:28 AM

This is also a MAC os issue. In the PC world apps usualy have prefs for where to save things but in the MAC world the finder stays pointed to where ever you last were. This becomes a problem when you go looking for a file load it.. after that if you save some thing or bounce to disk the finder will point back to where you last were and if you don't repoint the finder back to where you want the file saved it will be saved in the place where you last looked. WOW that was confusing... the short version is you must ALWAYS check to make shure that you are saving where you think you are and not just OK with out looking.
SK
Old 03-14-2001, 04:09 PM

thanks i will give it a try